Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th October 2008, 11:58 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
"High fidelity means the possibility to listen to the playback of peopleís applause and not to confuse them with rainís noise falling over a zinc roof ..... Nor to confuse the noise of dissolving waves when touches the beach sand, thinking you have eggs frying in hot oil there"
Funny and true. Fortunately my system meets these requirements! (It didnt when it was standard though. LOL!)

I have the 340A service manual with schematics and B.O.M. if your interested?
Old 6th October 2008, 02:21 AM   #22
darian is offline darian  France
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I am interested! I would like to do some mods as well. My email is maziere_jeanyves@yahoo.fr

Many thanks!
Old 6th October 2008, 02:38 AM   #23
jaycee is offline jaycee  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Uhh what, the 640A is basically a Gainclone!! I guess Cambridge are cheaping out, even though most of their previous amps were SAP15 based. I don't know how they can charge what they charge considering!

Cambridge Audio's quality has gone very much downhill. I recently serviced a Cambridge Audio A5 amplifier - the internal construction was abysmal. The PCB's had all been hand soldered, there was flux and solder spatters everywhere. Cheap capacitors were used throughout and the potentiometer were very very cheap and nasty.

The fault turned out to be a poor PCB that had led to the right channel input signal being shorted to ground. Despite thoroughly cleaning the PCB I was left with no choice but to cut the track that was shorted to ground and replace it with a wire.

Destroyer X, you are most likely thinking of the "Class XD" based amplifier - the Azur 840A. The idea is basically to shift the crossover point away from 0V. Personally, I don't see what difference this would make at all.
Old 6th October 2008, 12:14 PM   #24
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

No, that's the 340 in the pic with the chip. I'm sure the 640 is completely different.

The A5 is a much older generation and I've had the 840A V2 for a short period and still have a 840C and the PCB and workmanship looks good.
Old 6th October 2008, 01:20 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

My amp looks nothing like you described. All solder joints are neat and clean. Only criticism would be the use of very cheap caps but hey, this is a 200 quid amp. Your right about its simmilarities to the GC. In my opinion this is no bad thing. Ive read of DIY GC's sounding totally amazing.....
Old 6th October 2008, 01:33 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Default Thank you Jaycee..... i am in contact with Rabbitz..he has one

and he was evaluating it... soon i will have a result.

Mikesnowdown.... make me calm down.... i just cannot wait to see the schematic... send it to me, please.

Yes..of course... can be another Marketing thing... having nothing very special into the circuit...also may not sound special...but i have to listen to be sure.

thank you folks,

regards,

Carlos
Old 6th October 2008, 01:42 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Carlos, service manual should be in your inbox.
Old 6th October 2008, 01:47 PM   #28
rabbitz is offline rabbitz  Australia
diyAudio Member

Don't get too excited Carlos as mikesnowdon's is the 340A SE (chip based) and not the 840A (Class XD) that you are trying to find details on.

The 840A V2 I tried was faulty and I sent it back to the distributor so I will never know what it was supposed to be like.
Old 6th October 2008, 03:20 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Default Yes..... thank you Mikesnowdown... was a surprise to see LM3866 inside

Ahahahaha.... i have conclude those days that to 35 watts output, nothing can be better idea than to use those chips... clapps does not sounds as rain over the zinc roof when using those amplifiers.

I am happy i have not made wrong conclusion about.

Yes.... i could not know the "system" used to avoid crossover distortion.... one day i will know.

thank you folks.

regards,

Carlos
Old 6th October 2008, 03:25 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Ahahahaha.... i have conclude those days that to 35 watts output, nothing can be better idea than to use those chips... clapps does not sounds as rain over the zinc roof when using those amplifiers.
The 340A is rated at 40 w/pc and the 340A SE 45 w/pc according to the Cambridge audio.

So are you going to make a clone then?

Hide this!Advertise here!