hk 670 problem(the vintage one, not the 2001 model) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th March 2005, 02:11 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default hk 670 problem(the vintage one, not the 2001 model)

I just got hand on a vintage hk 670 amp. The only problem is that there is some intermittent noise(Sounds like noise) on the right channel. I tried moving every switches and pots to see if they created the problem but it's somewhere else.

It seems to be in the amp circuits since if I move tone or volume, it changes nothing.
Old 26th March 2005, 12:24 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I just read the Pioneer SX crackle topic. While I don't have the same problem(Me, I have crackle+noise on the right channel, but there is some sound.), I checked DC voltage, and the left channel(the one with no problem) has about -0,1v and the right chan seems to have about 0,6v . . .

I found these with a crappy analog multimeter, since I don't have my digital one under hand. My analog multimeter is sometimes completely inaccurate.
Old 27th March 2005, 06:13 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I used a DMM this time and got -0,2v on the left channel and +0.6v on the right channel.
Old 28th March 2005, 08:41 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I just measured the voltages, right after playing 4 CDs one after the other they turned to be -19mV for the left channel and 23mV for the right channel.

Maybe the 2 per channel 10000F 25 years old caps start to fail?

Maybe my crossed coax speaker cabling that activated the short protection (I think)yesterday fixed problems?

I also cleaned the 5 fuses, and changed the 3 burnt front lamps, and removed some dust on the pots on the poweramp boards.

I'm now connected to a surge protectecting bar.

I touched both TO3 transistors at the same time and got a shock.

I plugged the power plug the other side(If I reverse the plug and it reappears, I'll say good bye to the rectifiers)

If the problem reappears, I WILL suspect bad solder joints, if the reversed plug don't change anything.

Should I use my contact cleaner on the bias(?) pots or "If it still works, don't fix it"?
Old 7th April 2005, 04:00 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I have had problems sounding like this with my hk750.
Resolding all points on the pre-output transistors, cooled by the seperate Cooling metal (Q421-Q424 in your case) had solved the crackeling problem.
Old 7th April 2005, 07:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I was about(In a few days) to change the differential transistors.

Also, I don't know if I wrote it has been repaired two times, but the repairs(differential transistors replacement) were done on the left channel instead of the right one.
Old 5th February 2006, 03:57 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

In the last few days, it was crackling a lot. So I decided to finally fix the problem. It was the transistors like you told. They were quite easy to find because they are attached to an heatsink. 12 screws and 12 solder reworks later, no more problems!

Yay! I got this amp for free because of this problem and it was easy to fix!
Old 8th April 2006, 01:19 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Now I've got lots of trouble with the switches. They make the sound intermittent and scratch like hell. Putting "Contact 2000" (Ethanol mainly) got thing worse.

Hide this!Advertise here!