diyAudio (
-   Solid State (
-   -   transistor glue? (

johndbl123 24th March 2005 06:40 AM

transistor glue?
Anybody know what the white stuff between the transistor and heatsink from power amplifier? Where can i get those stuff.

Giaime 24th March 2005 06:53 AM

Yes it isn't glue, it is thermal compound. It is a silicone grease studied to improve thermal conductivity between the device and the heatsink. Practically it makes better thermal contact between the device and the heatsink. Always use it, but in very small quantities, well distributed under the transistor. You can get it at electronics stores, PC repair shops, and even supermarkets. Look for "Silicone Grease" or "Silicone heat transfer compound". Be aware that it isn't cheap: I payed 6euros for just 30g of it.

jaycee 24th March 2005 01:48 PM

it's also known as "Dow Corning" after the company that commonly makes it. You may be able to get it from a computer shop that sells CPU heatsinks.

B Cullingford 24th March 2005 03:58 PM

It is silicon grease with extra stuff in it to improve heat conduction. Messy stuff, seems to migrate by itself! Buy it at any good electronic supplier.

markp 24th March 2005 05:11 PM

'Heat sink compound' and it can be had at Radio Shack in a pen style applicator that is easy to use.

anatech 25th March 2005 01:54 AM

Just make sure it's fresh. Buying at a proper parts jobber is better that Radio Shack if you can. Replace the mica insultors while you are at it.


Burnedfingers 25th March 2005 02:32 AM

Everything Chris said. Plus, make sure your hands and the insulators are clean and free of any metal or grit.

BrianDonegan 25th March 2005 11:17 AM

...and wash well afterwards. It gets everywhere and is not very good for you.

SkinnyBoy 25th March 2005 12:05 PM


Originally posted by jaycee
it's also known as "Dow Corning" after the company that commonly makes it.

never heard of it refered to as that.... hmm....

you can also get silver stuff, which has better heat transfer properties. but I guess its upto you.

DigitalJunkie 25th March 2005 12:13 PM

"Artic Silver" (IIRC) is the name of the silver kind my friend uses on the CPU's in his PC's..
It's supposed to be "the best" heatsink-goop(technical term :) ) around.

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:49 PM.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2017 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2