Amplifier oscilation - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st August 2002, 09:25 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Amplifier oscilation

Today I was testing an 150W pioneer amp using a 5m cable , 1.4uH, 660pF, .066 ohm. I was applied a 1khz sinewave. Passing 20Vpp appears oscilation about 100Khz. Lowering applied signal, Below 20pp it dissapeared. i tryed a zobel network but didn't worked. What it might be?

The amp is a pioner VSX605S receiver.
Old 23rd August 2002, 11:47 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I don't know that kind of amp, but is 20Vpp not a little bit high to connect to the input??? Probably the amp ran into oscillation because the input is too high, so the signal will clip; and square waves have lots of higher frequencies.

HB.
Old 23rd August 2002, 03:59 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

20Vpp at the output. The input was a 1KHz 1Vpp sinewave from a rohde-schwartz audio analizer.
It was caused probably by the output cable, I just want to know why and how to kill it.
The test was made under my professor's supervision.
I was thinking it had might be caused by an out of phase feedback, turning it from a negative feedback to a positive feedback.
Without the 5 meters cable it had run up to 120Vpp.
Old 23rd August 2002, 07:12 PM   #4
The one and only

Put the "Zobel" (.1 uF + 5 ohms ) at the speaker end
of the cable also.
Old 25th August 2002, 10:04 AM   #5
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
Design engineer, consultant
diyAudio Member

Sometimes this happens with high frequency BJT's. A capacitor of some 470pF between collector and base of the power transistor might help to stabilize, but a use of an oscilloscope is a must.
Old 25th August 2002, 03:07 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default No problem.....

The use of instruments is not the problem, I have access to an digital osciloscope and an audio analizer (FFT, waveform, THD, etc.)
But even with it, as I'm only an student, I couldn't dicover, and I ascked for help becouse I think my professor is testing me!
The power BJTs are 2SA1302 and 2SC3286. They run in AB class.
I have to put this capacitor in the output transistor itself or in the darlington "driver"? Rod Eliott once told me that , he didn't know why, but the oscilation happens to appear only in the "negative" pair, and to use this miller cap in the driver, can I try this without damage of the receiver?
Old 25th August 2002, 07:41 PM   #7
PMA is offline PMA  Europe
Design engineer, consultant
diyAudio Member

It strongly depends on the circuit - sometimes it helps to put cap to the output transistor, sometimes to the driver. You can have a look at my www - I had the similar problem - see "push-pull class A follower", which was in fact operated in AB class. Rod Elliott is right, very often the osccillations appear only at one half of the waveform. I hope you will not destroy the output transistors by small caps, does the amp have an overcurrent protection? You may start with smaller value, say 100pF.
Old 25th August 2002, 08:20 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

It has protection relays, i was thinking about 100pF too!
Where is the link to your hp?
Old 26th August 2002, 02:31 AM   #9
Account Disabled

An often ignored problem with regard to amplifier stability is the presence of a non-minimum phase, (RHP), zero generated by multiple signal paths from input to output.

An RHP zero has the magnitude response of an LHP zero, (i.e: it 'breaks up'), but the phase response of an LHP pole, (i.e: phase response 'breaks down', or tends to - 90 degrees in the limit).

This undesirable zero can be moved to the LHP by connecting a small resistor in series with the miller compensation capacitor(s), or moved to infinity by placing a capacitor in parallel with each of the often-used series resistors to the output stage.

This may, (OR NOT ) be the cause of your problems.....but give the later a try....a time constant of the order of 200nS for each parallel combination should suffice......
Old 26th August 2002, 02:59 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to ThingyNess
Now that's a hell of a thorough answer - glad to see we have some properly trained EEs in the forum.

Quote:
Originally posted by mikek
An often ignored problem with regard to amplifier stability is the presence of a non-minimum phase, (RHP), zero generated by multiple signal paths from input to output.

An RHP zero has the magnitude response of an LHP zero, (i.e: it 'breaks up'), but the phase response of an LHP pole, (i.e: phase response 'breaks down', or tends to - 90 degrees in the limit).

This undesirable zero can be moved to the LHP by connecting a small resistor in series with the miller compensation capacitor(s), or moved to infinity by placing a capacitor in parallel with each of the often-used series resistors to the output stage.

This may, (OR NOT ) be the cause of your problems.....but give the later a try....a time constant of the order of 200nS for each parallel combination should suffice......

Hide this!Advertise here!