OH great DIYers and engineers. Lookin for amp kit.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: DJNUBZ, Mr. Rod Elliot, from ESP- Australia, have some JLH clone very nice

destroyer X said:
It is called "Death of Zen", and Rodd is very good to explain those details you want to find.

Hi Carlos,

By coincidence I just finished my DoZ yesterday. It only took my 3 years. :bawling: I know you could have done it in 3 hours, but I am a little slow. Geez, these things run HOT :hot: It' my first class A and I guess I under estimated the size of my heatsink a little. One 0.37 HS for 2 x < 20 watt amps (using 34.5 instead of 40 volts).

Hi DJNUBZ

Here's the link to Rod Elliott's DoZ, which is similar to JLH class A. Rod does have schematics, parts list, PCB and there is a assembly guide when you buy the PCB.

http://sound.westhost.com/project36.htm

Amps like the JLH do require a little more effort on your behalf because you have to find a PCB, work out a parts list and get the components. Amps with more commerical interest have more of the work done for you, so the DoZ has a nice PCB, parts lists and detailed assembly instructions but you still have to source the components. Amps like the AKSA have the amp and PSU PCBs and all the hand selected electronic components and heatsink in a single box with detailed instructions.

All these amps are great amps and whichever you choose will probably not be your last. ;)

Complicated, is something dense in parts, having many stages and CCS.

A very old teacher, my sargent in army, gave me first steps in electronics....and i remember i read many times, the same words he said to me.

Each active or even passive component can create a small trouble in your amplifier, so, the more you can supress stages and parts, less confusion you will have in the output signal.

Simple, economic, is some basic rule in always that surround us...even the complexity of cell phones, are to make life simple...wireless comunications...and lot of re-transmitting towers are beeing substituted by Satelite...always trying to reduce, to simplified things.

Now television receiver is inside some chips.... cheaper, faster repair. and easy diagnosis.

I cannot find sense in create a lot of stages, each one of them creating their own trouble, and then i run to try to correct...better not to create problems, avoiding complications, you avoid problems...why some 5 parts regulator, if i can use some resistor and a electrolitic condenser, to keep reasonable stable, the differential supply voltage?....we cannot feel advantages!..we cannot hear those advantages, and sometimes are not advantages!

I am not the one....there are thousands that think this way...simple is better, and it is inside logic situations.

If you are in france, and decided to go to berlim...will you fly to Israel, and them will fly to Moscow, and them to Rome to have a fly to Berlim?..... those things, despite not obvious, are intimate connected inside a logic chain....and have the law to reference...the smaller distance between two point is a straigth line..... despite not real, as in this Universe, because gravity, nothing is really straigth.... but this is philosophie.

See how simple is class D, and is having a lot of people running to class D....switch on and of...controlling pulse width..hehe..very simple...see the output filter...how simple...where's the crossover distortion?....where is the heat?

I love my wife Epupa, my Spanish beauty, if someone tried to say she is awfull, i will say the man is blind....that's resistance...i am happy to think she is beautifull.... even not beeing in the real world.... this is resistence.

Of course, some guys can say that the ones likes simple things are deaf...this is resistance too...and very easy to neutralise some oposition related ideas.

But go following your own rules.... do not bother related my ideas, in this world, we have room to all ideas, and ears and tastes adequated to all people.... life is Beautifull!.... and you do not understand me..... i also cannot understand you..... this is normal...alike a mirror...if i can watch you looking to some mirror, you will watch me also....if i cannot watch you...you also will cannot watch me.

But i have to say that i like you and the other friend that is always near you..... the same country, same ideas...same strong fighter to defend your ideas. I have to say that you impress me in a positive way, but you did not realise that, i also have respect related your knowledge.

I have a movie here....."Dark blue Sky".... your people, war pilots...if your people is 1 percent interesting as this movie show to me...if your music is wonderfull as the ones i heard...i can love that music hearing in a 1904 Phonograph and have enormous happyness....the language is also beautifull, and if your people character is 0.01 percent good as movie showed me.... never figth with me and never loose patiente, because i am a strong and potential good friend of you.

regards,

Carlos

Re: Re: DJNUBZ, Mr. Rod Elliot, from ESP- Australia, have some JLH clone very nice

grege said:
By coincidence I just finished my DoZ yesterday.

The DoZ (don't really like to use that name) was going to be my first diy amp (second diy project) but parts selection and sourcing was too overwhelming. So I built the AKSA instead. (earlier, I misstated it didn't come with a heatsink but I meant to say enclosure, just wanted to clear that up :) )

About a month ago I found a chassis with appropriate heatsinks, realized I had a transformer without a home as well as most of the necessary parts. So three years later, I'm about to power my DoZ up.

All that's left to do is finish testing the power supply (also running on 34V), wire up the output transistors, connect the jacks, then bias and go.

Hi Hugh, my gurus was Erno Borbelly and Robert Cordell. Yes, I had build in beggining many of simply amps ( simplest one had five transistors, including JLH etc. ), but these men had learn me, that comlicated ones can sounded better. Several years I had in my active system Tiger 01 at bass and middle, JLH at treble, but when I was listen Hafler / Borbelly DH 220, was it for me shock :cool:. From this time I'm looking at simply connections ( although Tiger wasn't simply ) more critical and I'm thinking, how improve it :cool:. Many authors of complicated connection " launch " his circuits without correct listening tests, which cause, that people don't belive him, 'cos these amps are objective bad. But others are thinking honestly and at results is it visible. Look at patent of Bruce Candy - there is all up to smallest detail very good designed and precise explained and I must say, that with all there I agree at 100 %. Yes, if I should select between two connections with the same parametres, I will take simplest one, I'm not fool, but I don't agree, that simlest one must be in every cases better :cool: .

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: DJNUBZ, Mr. Rod Elliot, from ESP- Australia, have some JLH clone very nice

ultrachrome said:
The DoZ (don't really like to use that name) was going to be my first diy amp (second diy project) but parts selection and sourcing was too overwhelming. So I built the AKSA instead. (earlier, I misstated it didn't come with a heatsink but I meant to say enclosure, just wanted to clear that up :) )

Same thing. I bought a Elliott P3A, DoZ and AKSA 55 around the same time, about 3 (or maybe 4) years ago. The idea was to practice soldering on the P3A and DoZ before doing the AKSA. Well even though I started the P3A and DoZ first, the AKSA was the first completed then a year later the P3A and now the DOZ, plus about a dozen other things (if you count SC480, Digi125 and Gainclones :D)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.