noisy receiver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i have a very old luxman 600 receiver and it is noisy at turn on &off, not a sharp boom, a few seconds of low frequency noise. I would like to repair and I would first replace electrolytis cap specially in voltage diviser used for bias point. Am I looking to the rigt spot or should I start somewhere else?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi audiofan,
I'd look at the power switch first in case it's arcing. Then move the the power supplies and look at the caps.
You may also have some leaky caps in the amp stages, the output coupling cap is 2200uF 50V. Coupling caps in preceeding stages would be next. This is an old design with a single supply voltage (around 53 VDC). It relies heavily on capacitors throughout. If you are up to it, changing all of them in the AF stages would probably improve the sound quality.

If you have a 'scope, you can look for the source of the noise by tracing it back.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.