Just got new junk from my friend

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Giaime,
Interesting fault. Most heads were defective due to wear. Do you know what kind of head it was? (Glass=Ferrite, permalloy, standard "butter" or Sendust - really good head). Maybe a picture of the original head looking at the face and rear.

-Chris

Nooooooooo! I just asked to my friend what was the thing about that head, and he said that wasn't the original, it's a cheap thing extracted out of a Panasonic portable mono recorder... DoH! The original one just didn't existed: he had this tape from another person already missing it... Bad situation I guess.

How strange: I convinced myself that was the original head because, apart from the lack of treble, it was a clear, spacey-sounding head! Much better than the head I just put in (btw it is even worse: bad hiss, some 50Hz buzz, zero treble and guess what... absolutely mono!)

What do you mean about Glass=Ferrite? It is a metallic head, not a glass one (do they exist? Maybe I just don't know...)

Should I look for a Technics replacement or a specific brand?

Permalloy sounds the same in every language, I guess... it' s a standard name for a magnetic alloy.
Now, I do not think you can just ask for any Permalloy head out there, put it into your deck and get good results. The electrical characteristics of the head may vary quite a lot.
Try to get on ebayand old Technics deck from the same age (be sure it' s a 2-head deck, though) and get the head from it, chances are the heads are pretty interchangeable. Or try to get the original spare part from Technics/Panasonic, although I doubt it' s still possible to find it.

Ciao,

Bruno

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Giaime,
This is scary, I know how to spell your name without looking!

You want a permalloy head because it's in the same family. A different type of head will have specs way out from the original. Older parts jobbers that used to sell cassette heads may have some. Technics did not charge very much for their heads to begin with. So an original may be worthwhile for you. I remember about $20.00 CDN.

If it doesn't work right, you won't use the deck. If it does, you may like it.

Thanks for the info Bruno, I had no idea what type of head it was.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.