Sony ST-J55 Tuner Mods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looking for a schematic for this tuner. It sounds good but I want to swap out the OPAMP as suggested at Vintage tuner. I took out what I thought was the right IC, put in a socket and then plugged in a OPA2134. No sound,and the strength meter for some reason lit up only one led, when I put the old IC back in it worked again. So I know it was not bad soldering. I can only guess I replaced the wrong IC. The IC reads Toshiba 4066BP. Can anyone help me pls?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi kestrel200,
But...., I do love data books. You should see my basement.

Anyhow, the 4558 has the same pinout as any standard dual op amp. I know you have web access, so try to google search the part numbers. Everything is there on the web.

No schematic? I like having it, but without one I normally just look up similar devices and part numbers. With your meter you can confirm the power supply pins (8+, 4-). In a tuner I don't know if you will hear any difference between a 4558 and say NE5532 or the like. 'sup to you man.

I am not being sarcastic, just helpful - jokingly sometimes.

-Chris

annatech,

I appreciate your constructive help. I did try to google and just got a bunch of garbage. The opamp I'm trying to replace it with is the OPA 2134 on which is 8+,4-. The Vintage tuner site specifically recommends replacing the OPAMP with a 2132. So I figured a 2134 would work. Maybe I have a bad IC. Can you think of any reason other mods would have to be done in order for the swap to work?

Thx

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi kestral2000,
Try this link aes.sdsu.edu/documents/sbos058.pdf

This should be the data sheet on the OPA2134. The JRC4558D (D for quiet) is functionally the same as the Motorola 1458. Industry standard. You shouldn't need to do anything unless the chip is unstable and oscillates.

Truthfully, there is so much distortion after demodulation that an NE5532AP is overkill. It does have better drive ability.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.