seeking comment on first pcb design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is two capacitance multiplier power supplies on the same board with a star ground point in between. This is between the rectifier and amp boards for ESP P36.

So I used .150" traces where I could. Sorry I don't have the part names but the caps are 4700uF, 1000uF, and 470uF all 63V. The transistors are TIP2955 and BD139.

The transformer will initially be a 400VA 25+25 later replaced by two 30+30 transformers if I like the amp.

Thanks

Attachments

• board2_small.png
    board2_small.png
    47 KB · Views: 331
I drew one side and saw that I could fit another supply on the board by rotating it 180 degrees. This seemed like a good solution because this board would fit with its long side near the back panel of the enclosure, with the transformer.

This allowed each channel the shortest power wiring possible.

I'll post a pic of the enclosure tomorrow.

I rarely turn down help.

Thanks.

The design when built with a 30V transformer is supposed to result in 38VDC. It is only a positive supply, there are only to power connectors on the amp PCB, unlike the JLH or the AKSA and Gainclones which I have built.

In any case, I was just setting out to build the circuit as advertised and try it with the transformer I had on hand.

It's not a regulator, it's a capacitance multiplier.

The layout is OK, but I would not connect the grounds like that. Leave the grounds isolated. All you need to do is run a cable from the 0V point on each output to a screw on the case where the mains earth connects. There will be no current flow in this wire under normal use. That way each circuit on the board can be the same way round. :cool:

grounding

Thanks, I will do that.

I'm going to tweak the layout a bit so I can use those dual screw type terminals for the wiring.

Jleaman, well I thought I needed to have a star point common to the two supplies but now that it's been suggested that I keep them separate, I am free to orient the supplies the same way. But the board only fits in the case with the long end parallel to the front and back of the case. So having my supplies 180 degrees from each other shortens the wire length to the amp PCBs.

Maybe you could explain why I wouldn't want that?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.