Bass Amp cuts out, please help - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th March 2005, 11:36 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to achtung jackass
Unhappy Bass Amp cuts out, please help

hi, i'm new so excuse me if this is posted in the wrong place.
i've got a 100w Session Sessionette Bass Amp (puts out 90w through speakers in cab). the problem is the amp cuts out sometimes, the power stays on(red light on switch is still lit) but all of the sound goes. it 'fizzles' out and then there is a small pop. sometimes the amp turns on but there is no sound, it powers up. the amp still works but generally cuts out after approx 20/30 minutes of playing, if not sooner. there are no problems with the speakers which are celestions.

Can anyone help me find out whats wrong and how i can fix it.

thank you

oh, the amp is about the same age as me, its from 1986 as far as i know.
Old 16th March 2005, 03:15 AM   #2
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Hi achtung jackass,

Is it possible that a thermal cut out is doing it's job? What happens if you play at low level?

-Chris
Old 16th March 2005, 11:29 AM   #3
Enzo is offline Enzo  United States
diyAudio Member

If the amp has an effects loop, connect a spare guitar cord from the send to the return. Yes, connect the jacks together. If this restores the sound, the return jack needs service or replacement. Also if there is a power amp in jack and a preamp out jack, treat them as an effects loop and connect them together for test.

This will not harm the amp, the jacks have internal contacts that carry the signal past them when they are NOT in use. If those contacts get dirty or fail, then the signal doesn't get past them.

A very common problem in instrument amps.
Old 16th March 2005, 11:30 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Check that the output transistors have not loosened from the heat sink(s) and that the thermal grease hasn't dried out.
Sometimes the screws which hold the transistors to the heatsink work themselves loose with age.
Old 16th March 2005, 12:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

i've tried playing at low level, or plugging into the low input jack it has no effect, the sound still isn't there. i thought at first it cut out to prevent itself from overloading (as i have an active bass w/ 18v power.) but the previous owner, a friend of mine, had the same problems and he uses passive basses.

yes the amp does have an effects loop, maybe this could be the problem i'll try connecting the send and return together. i'll also open it up and see is there anything loose.

thanks.
Old 18th March 2005, 10:55 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Enzo
If the amp has an effects loop, connect a spare guitar cord from the send to the return. Yes, connect the jacks together. If this restores the sound, the return jack needs service or replacement. Also if there is a power amp in jack and a preamp out jack, treat them as an effects loop and connect them together for test.

This will not harm the amp, the jacks have internal contacts that carry the signal past them when they are NOT in use. If those contacts get dirty or fail, then the signal doesn't get past them.

A very common problem in instrument amps.

thanks a lot Enzo, it worked. i can't be bothered/ don't have enough time to replace them at the moment so i'm just gonna leave my patch lead connecting them. the sound has improved a lot, and it doesn't cut out anymore.

thanks.
Old 23rd March 2005, 04:52 AM   #7
Diode is offline Diode  United States
diyAudio Member

The jacks are the first place you should look but what about good old BAD SOLDER connections. This is consumer electronics, you know.

Chris

Hide this!Advertise here!