The skinny on Sanken 2SA1216 Epitaxials

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When you push the limits in the simulator when aiming for certain design goals, the limitations of the devices rear their head and naturally you will find ways to get around it. DIY'ers are certainly dedicated and some connected enough to take that risk to finally 'know the truth'.

Some of the DIY'ers transiently here aren't really DIY'ers, they are very much professionals in their own right - but even if they chose to share the information whenever 'exotic' materials are involved the topics rarely gain sensible popularity, simply because the majority are excluded from being able to be involved.

However there's usually more than one way to work around the limitation depending on what you aim to achieve. So for example, one train of thought is to push towards higher feedback factors, meaning that traditionally output stage speed becomes a limiting factor to achieving stability at high feedback. However the other path is to exploit TPC/TMC techniques to achieve high feedback factor in the areas of interest without needing to resort to what was a few years back somewhat regionally exotic devices. Today it is not unusual to have both as the actual devices can be obtained somewhat as easily as others (taking example of the slewmaster again - many of the actual builds by members use Sanken outputs).

So I think it is very much availability that stunned the interest over any other factor.

I did use these in the alexander like amp I did make some years ago, the sound was as the seller of the high end store states, 3D like.

Yes I had also that idea, the amp with super emittor follower driver and a opa627 opamp did very wel with the sanken transitors, I still have a pair, the amp is current feedbacked, I do like that most, lowest IM.

It has incredible speed and control because if the super emittor follower, puch bass, was punching.

regards

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_330 Jul. 09 13.44.jpg
    ScreenHunter_330 Jul. 09 13.44.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 529
Last edited:
Cool Thread...

Was reading a comment that they're not common

SanKen MT200 Devices are TOP Shelf devices
All the best legendary amps use them...
Technics SE-A3MK2 - Sony TA-N1, Onkyo M-510, H/K Citation XX, Yamaha MX-10000, Marantz PM10 PM14 (interesting copper frame) Rotel RHB 10, RB 1090, RB 1592, Parasound Halo A21, Accuphase P600

There are a stack more I can't think of ATM... 7am and yet to sleep...

All my Ramsa pro amps use them. (WP9220 WP9440)

Imo if a discrete amp does not have MT200 SanKen outputs, it's underdone.

Last edited:
Cool Thread...

Was reading a comment that they're not common

SanKen MT200 Devices are TOP Shelf devices
All the best legendary amps use them...
Technics SE-A3MK2 - Sony TA-N1, Onkyo M-510, H/K Citation XX, Yamaha MX-10000, Marantz PM10 PM14 (interesting copper frame) Rotel RHB 10, RB 1090, RB 1592, Parasound Halo A21, Accuphase P600

There are a stack more I can't think of ATM... 7am and yet to sleep...

All my Ramsa pro amps use them. (WP9220 WP9440)

Imo if a discrete amp does not have MT200 SanKen outputs, it's underdone.

I did use it that time, I think 9 years ago, and did sound almost 3D stage sound, and very pleasant, and this for a bjt amp, I did not expect, but use a very good opamp, opa627 is expensive but very good sounding, there are more but need to be unity stable.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.