Voltage regulators for line level circuits - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th August 2002, 05:53 PM   #1
Banned

Smile Voltage regulators for line level circuits

From 1995:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poogenegreg.jpg (53.3 KB, 5627 views)
Old 19th August 2002, 05:55 PM   #2
Banned

Smile positive version

Positive voltage version.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg poogereg.jpg (49.7 KB, 5150 views)
Old 19th August 2002, 06:14 PM   #3
Banned

Default Voltage regulators for line level circuits

Fet and bipolar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fetbipolreg.jpg (14.6 KB, 5070 views)
Old 19th August 2002, 06:15 PM   #4
Banned

Default negative voltage version

Fet and bipolar
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fetbipolnegreg.jpg (15.6 KB, 4740 views)
Old 19th August 2002, 06:17 PM   #5
Banned

Default All Fet regulators

Both polarities
Attached Images
File Type: jpg allfetreg.jpg (28.4 KB, 4874 views)
Old 20th August 2002, 11:14 AM   #6
Nicke is offline Nicke  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Here you can find some improvements to the pooge regulator:
Reducing noise in voltage regulators

Harry,how do these compare to the latest regulators(the superregulator with a floating preregulator) from Walt Jung ?
I have them in my preamp and I can´t find any noise or ripple at the output(at least not with my oscilloscope).

Nicke
Old 20th August 2002, 04:18 PM   #7
Banned

Default Latest Jung Regulator?

From Audio Electronics 4/2000

Probably cool if op amps are your thing. The remote sense puts wire and/or PC trace resistance inside feedback loop for lower impedance at the load. Good idea for all transistor regulator too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jungreg.jpg (44.0 KB, 4567 views)
Old 20th August 2002, 04:46 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Latest Jung regulator

Harry,

If you go here you will find a clean drawing of both + and - regulators, plus the preregulator.

Improved LM317 ?

It was downloaded 189 times as I just saw.

Carlos
Old 20th August 2002, 07:37 PM   #9
ALW is offline ALW  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Good post Harry

Nice collection to play with.

For Nicke,

I'm currently awaiting some professionally produced PCB's for the updated Jung reg's (with the tracking pre-reg).

I've built about 10 units as prototypes and they are fantastic, transforming everything they've been used with, from preamp supplies to portable MD units.

The differences between the circuits are interesting. The op-amp based units all offer lower output impedance, owing to the large small-signal gains available. The downside is that op-amp compensation being what it is open-loop BW drops with frequency, hence impedance at the reg o/p rises.

The discrete circuits have the potential to offer much wider OL BW, the POOGE one, for example offers flat o/p impedance to >100kHz.

This can, subjectively, be preferable in certain applications (primarily where noise is not the major concern) as it gives a neutral sound. Impedance is nearly always higher in these designs though, without some exceptional amplifier design.

Newer op-amps offer some hope here (Ad817 / AD825) offering much wider OL BW (to approx 10kHz). It's again at the expense of impedance and noise.

The other thing to bear in mind, as Walt mentions in his 2k update, the low-noise non-degenerated front ends of units like the AD797 can easily be driven into non-linearity in certain applications (notably digital designs with high levels of HF noise). As always careful selection for application is beneficial.

For my 0.02, the op-amp suppplies are marvellous for limited supply voltages, offering the lowest noise, low o/p impedance and stunning line rejections, discrete is the only option at higher V for power amps etc.
I recommend everyone to try the POOGE (with my updates) as it's easy to trial using prototype board (or even HH's beloved p2p!) and is such an order of magnitude better sounding than a 3-terminal reg. They're stable, cheap and fun!

Andy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg super.jpg (29.0 KB, 4422 views)
Old 20th August 2002, 08:18 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Re: Good post Harry

Quote:
Originally posted by ALW

I recommend everyone to try the POOGE (with my updates) as it's easy to trial using prototype board (or even HH's beloved p2p!) and is such an order of magnitude better sounding than a 3-terminal reg. They're stable, cheap and fun!

Andy.
Are they much better sounding than LT1085 types?
I'm asking because I'm still looking for good regulators for my CD Pro 2 project. I'm almost settled on LT1085, but still hoping to find something better.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC

Hide this!Advertise here!