Voltage regulators for line level circuits - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th August 2002, 08:00 PM   #11
ALW is offline ALW  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Are they much better sounding than LT1085 types?
Yes.
Old 20th August 2002, 08:20 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Where can I find 5V version or how to adjust it for that voltage?
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 20th August 2002, 11:10 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Andy

Are you able to share the PCB artwork for the updated regulator with pre-reg? I need to make up a whole bunch but have always hesitated because OC charges way too much for the boards.

Thanks,
RonS
Old 21st August 2002, 06:00 PM   #14
ALW is offline ALW  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default PCB Artwork

RonS,

I'm not keen to distribute the artwork at present, as I'm planning to sell professionally produced PCB's - sorry!

I put a massive investment in time and parts into the prototype units, and hope to recoup some of my costs to invest in future projects.

Also, the +ve reg's are the only ones I have at present, negative ones are now in the prototype build stage.

Andy.
Old 21st August 2002, 06:26 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Let me rephrase my questions. All those regulators seem to be delivering 14V. What should be done to modify them into 5V?

ALW, I would be also interested in purchasing your boards if they come available. I've seen your previous posts and can imagine the amount of work you invested. But it's hard for me to imagine that those reg. are better than LT1085 (just kidding ).
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 21st August 2002, 07:13 PM   #16
Banned

Default What should be done to modify them into 5V

Not quite than simple when supplying the opamp supply with the regulators output voltage. Also the reference voltage must sit inside the common mode limit of the opamp as well as the output
of the opamp being level shifted to drive the base of the output transistor. The first step would be to find a good op amp that runs on a single 5V supply. Also what are you current demands and preferred input voltage?

Op Amp gurus?........

H.H.
Old 21st August 2002, 08:02 PM   #17
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to Elso Kwak
Lightbulb Re: What should be done to modify them into 5V

Quote:
Originally posted by HarryHaller
Not quite than simple when supplying the opamp supply with the regulators output voltage. Op Amp gurus?........

H.H.
HI,
I did not find the time yet to draw and post my schematic.
I am using a 5V reference and this is "amplified" by the opamp-follower combination to 5V (gain = 1). The opamps are powered from the raw 20 V supply. For a 15 V regulator I am using a gain of 3.
For the negative regulator the reference voltage is inverted by a opamp to -5V. The positive regulator opamp is powered from +20V and the negative supply regulator opamp is powered from -20V.
It is all very simple and very good working without oscillations.
Note that for a +/-5V and +/-15V supply used in my KWAK-DAC only one reference is used.
It all fits just on one Eurocard (100x160mm PCB) including heatsinks.
More later.
Old 21st August 2002, 08:09 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: What should be done to modify them into 5V

Quote:
Originally posted by Elso Kwak

More later.
Maybe it's a good thing I delayed the CD PRO construction and started modifying my A75 into Aleph. I already ordered LT1085 from Digi-Key.

For the transport my raw voltage is around 16V and current demand would be 250mA.
Old 21st August 2002, 09:31 PM   #19
Banned

Exclamation The opamps are powered from the raw 20 V supply.

There goes the PSRR......... The opamps in the regulator need the best supply go can give them for good PSRR. that is the reason for powering the opamp from the supply it is providing the regulation for. Preregulators are also a good idea for best PSRR.

H.H.
Old 21st August 2002, 10:09 PM   #20
dice45 is offline dice45  Germany
diyAudio Member

Harry,
cannot believe it, do my eyes fool me ? (damned brain tumor!) You post schematics? you post complete information?

Have copied all the pixes you posted, thanxalot! Do you have have shunt regs in stock, too?

Hide this!Advertise here!