Carver's tracking downconverter - thoughts? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th September 2002, 01:34 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Default tracking etc

I looked at the BASH site, and I really like the principle they used. I was not aware of these products.

What they do may not produce an amp with continuous 100W output, although for music use it should be more than enough. I think it is a very sensible approach. In another thread I have argued that sizing an amp for continuous 100W output and then using it on music is not very good engineering.

If these amps have no balls in car stereo, it may be due to the fact that in car systems very high continuous levels (inefficient speakers) seem to be the norm, not to speak of the strongly compressed signals used in broadcast programs.

Jan Didden
Old 9th September 2002, 03:43 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Neutron Bob
Red face Fluffy Marketing

So, what's the "transfer function" of snake oil?
Old 9th September 2002, 03:54 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Neutron Bob
Default Post Script

Mind you, I'm not picking on the compact HiFonics amps...very clever for the application. Space is at a premium in most vehicles.

Interesting BASH information as well.

I just shudder when the buying public is subjected to technobabble...the end result is a distrust of what proves to be solid technology.
Old 11th September 2002, 03:06 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Default Tracking converter

Hot off the press:

Apparently ADI has found a way to put a system as the BASH amp in a single chip....
Check out the AD8393. I wonder how they do it, must be some type of capacitive voltage doubler.

Jan Didden
Old 11th September 2002, 03:51 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to LukasLouw
"Apparently ADI has found a way to put a system as the BASH amp in a single chip....
Check out the AD8393. I wonder how they do it, must be some type of capacitive voltage doubler."

Yea, these things are quite the rage now. I think that I saw similar parts from either Philips or ST, or maybe both.

They look look they have capacitave voltage multipliers to increase the rails, then they appear to work in Class G type mode, I don't see any reference to PWM for the extra rails.

Lukas
Old 11th September 2002, 04:36 PM   #26
sam9 is offline sam9  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Class G-Project

If anyone is really interested in pursuing this topic on a DIY basis, Doug Self has published the schemiatic for a class-G amp. Kit and boards are available.

To my eye it looks like his "Blameless Amp" topology modified with inner and outer rail. The claimed THD+N is close to class B, he says.

I gather that the switching noise is the compromise one suffers with all Class G,H,D, BASH, Carver/Sunfire schemes. The agrument in favor seems to be that although they still are inferior in that regard to class B but pushed the limits enough to fall to an inaudible level. The motivation for the extra effort is obviously( to me) to be able to package five or more channels of substantial amplification into a "consumer friendly" emclosure. For traditional 2-channel stereo application, I doubt the effort is worthwhile.

By the way I use a Carver M-400, "cube" of considerable age and find it quite satisfactory as used.

Hide this!Advertise here!