Carver's tracking downconverter - thoughts? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th September 2002, 05:10 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to LukasLouw
Thanks for the kind comment regarding the HiFonics amps.....

"hifonics amplifiers
use the same type of technology that
he patented in 1980? and those car
amplifiers were excellent. "

Just to set the record straight, the HiFonics varipower amplifiers used mostly a 3 tier rail switching scheme, common to all channels, outside the amp feedback loops. I assume you are referring to the Carver Cube and descendants, that used actual series output stages, with the rail "switching" being done inside each channel's feedback loop.

Hope that makes sense,
Lukas Louw, VP Eng for HiFonics 1991 to 1995
Old 9th September 2002, 07:41 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

--Lukas Louw, VP Eng for HiFonics 1991 --to 1995

Are you still involved in car audio?
Old 9th September 2002, 09:48 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default tracking downconverter

If anyone wants to try it, a class-D pwm audio power amp with DC offset would be a nice tracking psu with very high efficiency - you would need one for each rail though.

Cheers, Jan Didden
Old 9th September 2002, 10:28 AM   #14
djk is offline djk
diyAudio Member

"you would need one for each rail though."

If you do a bridge amp you only need one.
Old 9th September 2002, 11:10 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

"Are you still involved in car audio?"

Yes anything audio, I've been an independent consultant, since HiFonics was bought out by a Chicago based company and relocated to Alabama. Long story. I still do contract work for them and other car, home and pro companies.

Lukas
Old 9th September 2002, 11:25 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default tracking psu

Quote:
Originally posted by djk

Huh? If you have two supply rails (+ & - V) you need two pwm amps one for each rail. Or maybe you see something I don't?

Jan Didden
Old 9th September 2002, 11:53 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Huh? If you have two supply rails (+ & - V) you need two pwm amps one for each rail. Or maybe you see something I don't?

He's probably talking about a single rail bridged amp.

Anyway, you only need one PWM amp to create tracking rails for a mono amp running on split rails. Take a floating +-5 volt supply, connect it's + and - to the AB amp collectors, and connect it's common to the output of the PWM amp.... You'd have to repeat this for each amplification channel. There are any number of variations on this theme. Just go to www.delphion.com and you'll see umpteen patents that all amount to the same thing, covering the same variations.

Lukas
Old 9th September 2002, 12:36 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default tracking etc

Well maybe he is talking about a single rail bridge, but he didn't say. Bridging or not is irrelevant in this context, single supply is.

Yes, there are many variations. The floating supply is a good option. The reason I mentioned pwm amps is because they are available for a quick check-of-principle if anyone wanted to try it out.

Jan Didden
Old 9th September 2002, 12:53 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

Hi all

A "bridge-type single voltage tracking downconverter plus linear output stage" amp is the BASH amplifier topology.
www.bashaudio.com
Currently I am not able to access their homepage but the last time I visited it, I felt that they were quite honest about their technology's abilities (wich is not self-evident, regarding the hype you can read on the web regarding switching amplifiers).

Regards

Charles
Old 9th September 2002, 01:03 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

"A "bridge-type single voltage tracking downconverter plus linear output stage" amp is the BASH amplifier topology.
www.bashaudio.com"

Yes, that is one of the more interesting ones, based on a patent by John French. If I remember correctly, they use a floating PWM switch, limiting the AB amp to bridged output topology....... It is also supposedly capable of full range operation, wheras the Carver tracking converter poops out at about 7KHz. I've not had the pleasure to put a recent Bash amp on the bench, but I have a friend who has, and the amps do not produce rated continious power. They apparently get rated power under peak conditions, and continious around 60% of rated....... I don't know if that is by philosophy, or sheer optimism....

I have tested the original Bash car amps way back in the early 90's, and they had no b*lls, mostly due to poorly regulated supplies.

Lukas

Hide this!Advertise here!