My new Head-Amp finished...!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Finally, (pcb have been lying here a long time), a new head-phone-amp is done. It's "QRV-03", one of "P-A" 's constructions, and the second of his, that I built. (First was the QRV-02).

Sound is full, detailed, refined & "airy"...until my wife confiscated it...
No problem, I still have the QRV-02...only problem; I have only one set of Sennheisers :bawling:

Arne K

Attachments

• picture 079x.jpg
    picture 079x.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 533
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Arne,

nice Head-Amp. Why you don't use a shielded wire for internal wiring? Make a try and use your internal wiring as a chinch inconnect and compare it with a good shielded interconnect. You will be astonished about the difference. It is often usefull to mount the attenuator in the back part of the enclosure an use a a extension rod between attenuator and button at the front panel.

My favorite interconnect is the Voodoo-Cable from

http://www.dope-sounds.de/

Regards,
Arne

Joined 2002
Paid Member
thanx

About internal cabling; I use as little shielded cable as possible, rather twisted.
I use good quality silver, or silver-coated cable, always with teflon insulation.
Tried a old interconnect cable internally in my previous amp, but preferred this version.
(BTW, trafo is shielded).

Arne K

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi,

I agree with you, the comany name and the website of the company are quite funny and do not look not very trustfully.

In Germany the Voodoo-Cables are well known and often tested very good in hifi-magazines. In comparition to other silver cables they are quite cheap. The construction of the newer versions are kind of art. I have not seen such a complexity construction in any other cable. For example they don't use normal teflon isulation, it is teflon foil which contains lot of air and this foil is loose fixed at the solid silver core, so that the most isulation is done by air and not by teflon. The construction consists of 6 layers! The mica Speaker connect is also very impressive. The Speaker connect is worth the money, but to costly for me :)

Have a look at the construction. This is not a standard power cable that is selled as hifi interconnect (the way most companies "develop" their "High-End cables")

Arne

Attachments

• silvermica_2161small.jpg
    silvermica_2161small.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 227
Arne, don't belive to any magazine's test :D , bigger lies you can to see only in folk tales ;) . And about cables : I saw many constructions, which have any logical fundament and your photo is typical example. BTW, exist several insulators, which have better parametres than teflon. Teflon have one advantage, which is pleasant for manufacturers of so called audio cables : is expensive, so they can give reason for high price :D, that's all.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Upupa Epops said:
Arne, don't belive to any magazine's test :D , bigger lies you can to see only in folk tales ;) . And about cables : I saw many constructions, which have any logical fundament and your photo is typical example. BTW, exist several insulators, which have better parametres than teflon. Teflon have one advantage, which is pleasant for manufacturers of so called audio cables : is expensive, so they can give reason for high price :D, that's all.

OK - so which ones are better ?

/

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Which supplier use Foam polyethylen for their audio cables? I know that there some better insulators then PFTE, a better one is for example air. So why don't use an approved PFTE-foil and a lot of air between?

About the ring construction of the Mica cable. Because you have lot of possibilities to bridge the conductors, you are able to control capacity and inductance as you need it.

To mastertech:
See the link in my second posting.

Let us end this discussion about cables. I have heard the differences to other cables on my own. It is useless to philosophise about sense and nonsense of cable-constructions.

Arne

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.