What do uncompensated amps behave?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AudioFreak said:

Well if you want decent phase response anywhere near the edges of the audible range then it's pretty much manditory.

My experience is, phasehifts within closedloop are evil, the less
phaseshift the better dynamics and details. Sadly i was not able
to get below 20° at 10khz with the amp beeing stable.
(the 20° with opened loop,phasedifference from input to output)
But, with "normal" designs, you easily reach values above 50°.
(like ccs-loaded vas, driven from currentmirrored LTP)

Do you mean -3db at 200khz ?

Mike

But in every single amp i've constructed it was absolutely necessary to keep it flat, or sound was "trash".
There are two possibilities: either having flat open loop phase within the audio band is important, or the thing you changed to achieve this changed the sound for an entirely different reason.

Well ideally you should have closed loop FR an order of magnitude outside of the band you intend on using.
Ideally there should be no distortion whatsoever. In practice the O.L. bandwidth is not very important of itself. If you are using feedback then you want as much as possible: typical designs use Miller compensation to create a first pole at only a few hundred Hz, causing the O.L. phase to drop to near 90 deg during most of the audio band. But this doesn't really matter. I'd say you want to aim for a C.L. bandwidth of 40kHz and any more isn't important. What can happen is that when a designer alters the circuit to create a 200kHz bandwidth they also alter other factors and it is these other factors that dominate the sound.

traderbam said:

There are two possibilities: either having flat open loop phase within the audio band is important, or the thing you changed to achieve this changed the sound for an entirely different reason.

Yes, i was thinking about that too, adding these resistors lowers
Z-out of the vas, making it less sensitive to reactive loads.
But my latest amp did not need these resistors for reasonable flat
OLBW, and it sounds as it should, like the others with resistors.

Mike

Here is the schematic of the modded amp.
A well proven LIN design but with current mirror.

Tom

Attachments

• amp.gif
    amp.gif
    13.6 KB · Views: 321
Sorry, yes of course mps8099...
The 2n5551/5401, should be easy to get and are cheaper than
japanese transistors.

Mje15031 in vas ? Unbuffered connected to a currentmirror ? Ouch !
Mje15031 has very big inputcapacity, giving large reactive load
to the currentmirror having nearly infinite zout. This combined with
the 100pF cdom gives enourmous dynamic phaseshifts.
You could replace q5 with a normal signaltransistor and cascode it
with a mje15031 (or better suitable), this removes a lot of dynamic
phaseshift.

Mike

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.