Pics of my ESP101

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It's pretty much done, aside from the back panel (which is still on the drill press). I couldn't resist posting a few pics :D

I'm running with 42V rails using two MOSFET pairs to keep the heat down a bit. I suppose you could call it the 'medium power' version ;)

I settled with about 180mA bias and it has around 16mV offset on each channel. The sound beats the pants off of my gainclone...sound is very crisp and the bass is much tighter.

Thanks to Rod and everyone else who helped me in any way!

Testing the 1st channel...
esp101-1.jpg

Everything mounted...
esp101-2.jpg

Boards are mounted upside-down...
esp101-3.jpg

Enjoying some music...
esp101-4.jpg

WorkingAtHome: The shipping is good if you order enough stuff i.e. ordering at least 4 heatsinks. Otherwise, the shipping might actually be more than your order :xeye:

Jacco: You're probably right about the threading...hindsight is 20/20 I suppose ;)

Given that I do have those nice pieces of acrylic there, I was thinking about possibly mounting some LEDs into them to add some glow to the vents instead of mounting a power LED in the front.

As for the rectifier blocks, they are mounted to a brass bar which is mounted on the same bolt as the one holding the toroid in place.

Dalai Lama,

overhere you have Sphinx amplifiers, from the two guys of Siltech cables.
They have been using black acrylic for front plates of their amplifiers for 20 years.
imo, that stuff still looks very elegant, and for diy it is much more userfriendly than alloy.
Another amp brand from the cheese place built entire chassis
with the stuff in the past, Aitos OTL tube amplifiers.

I dont quite get how you will see light from leds mounted on the top of the heatsinks, you are going to fold yourself over the amplifier while listening to music ? :clown:
Nice Mallory caps.

Jean: It's the newer Rev A boards

Jacco: I agree...a black acrylic front would look awfully nice, but I'm content to do some more listening for a while before changing things up too much :cool:

As for the LEDs, if I get some nice high-intensity ones and use a couple of them (perhaps one per piece of acrylic), I should notice some light leaking out of the vents (there are vents on top as well)...at least I hope I would :D

Oh, and the caps are actually some Aero M caps I got on ebay...they were pulled out of an old strobe light system apparently. I haven't been able to find any datasheets on them (they are HES series according to the markings), but they are working quite nicely regardless.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.