transformer isolation

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I've been building a p3a (80w) for some time now, and finally got to the boint that it works. Almost. The toroidal transformer (Avel Lindberg Y23 35-0-35 250VA) is giving off some nasty RFI which the input picks up, and as a result, one channel hums when the input wire is in the position of where I want it to be. I moved the wire around and found a position where there is little noise, but I'd rather not have any at all. Does anyone know of a good way to shield the transformer so thre is no noise?

I can post pics if needed.

I'd say try caging the transformer, put some metal around it... or you could get a new transformer with less bandwidth... You can also try a small non-polarized capacitor on the mains (like .1uF or something) - just make sure the voltage rating is really high (I'd say like 1000v, just so it won't easily burn even if your amp gets a spike)

What is it with these Avel Lindberg transformers? On my DoZ amp, nothing I tried worked, including $50 some-odd dollars for TI shield and some mu-metal. I probably built 3 or 4 different styled shields for it using suggestions from here and elsewhere, and I could attenuate it, but not eliminate it.

Transformer is now mounted in its own enclosure about 18" away from the rest of the amp. Nothing else worked.....

I think they have a QC problem with their cores on which the wires are wound. They probably assemble them from two halves, since they can't wind the wire on a circular one with a machine. If the core is cracked, the trafo might leak a lot of magnetic energy, but still do its job. Maybe they screwed up a whole batch of the trafos this way, though I hope they didn't.

Depending on the layout, it might be easier to slip a length of tubular copper mesh over the input wiring. Then connect one end of it to ground. You can definitely get it from Michael Percy but probably from other sources like digikey.

I've always made a point of shielding the input for a number of reasons, not just isolation from the transformer, and so fasr I've not suffered a problem attributible to input wire picking up errant signals of any kind. Maybe I've just benn lucky but my experience is what it is . . . .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.