How to matching PNP with NPN Transistor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
Anyone to know, How to matching PNP with NPN Transistor?
I buy 2N5551= 20 ea. and 2N5401 = 20 ea. then hFE measure is more difference

hFE of 2N5551 = 110 to 130
hFE of 2N5401 = 210 to 230

I am making the power amplifier, when I put them in the circuit, It may be not good sound.

Have anyone suggestion?

sorry!!! My english is not good.

Senee

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Senee,
The best you can do, short of buying more transistors, is put the closest ones together. If these are for n and p diff pairs, match your pairs then use the closest n and p pairs. This will be better than most production amps so don't worry too much about it.
-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi thanh,
My experience shows that, in order of importance, the pairs must be matched (NPN to NPN, PNP to PNP). Then, each pair should be matched to the other. There is a difference if you include the last step.

If you match these at one current, say 1 mA (common test current), you are already ahead of the game. To complete a great job, thermally tie the pairs together. Now they track.

-Chris

Hi Chris,

I would like to know your statistic for quantity of transistor to buy for matching 2 NPN TR. and 2 PNP TR. and what the brand is easyly to matching

I think, If we matching Hfe and Vbe is very difficult.

I am making a fully symmetry amp. I need matching the first diff. amp state. My idea, If we only matching NPN or PNP is not good sound becuase the half of positive wave and the half of negative wave is not symmetry. It is effect to bed sound.

Thanks,

Senee Somma
:smash:

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Senee,
I normally buy signal transistors in lots of 20 or 40. Generally speaking I can get a decent match in pairs that way. I don't bother matching VBE, hFE is more important. I match them around 1mA collector current, but any suitable value will work. I get very good results this way.
In equipment I service and match diff pairs, they always sound better unless the amp is a piece of scrap to start with. Phase Linear and SAE respond well as do Haflers. So don't become so worried about it.
I match drivers and outputs also. Can make a difference.
-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The differential pair only works properly when the gains are matched. To get rid og offset, inject a small current into one side of the diff. pair. This is what everyone did before servo amps. Marantz put temperature compensation in as well. Neat huh?

-Chris

Hi,
Anyone to know, How to matching PNP with NPN Transistor?
I buy 2N5551= 20 ea. and 2N5401 = 20 ea. then hFE measure is more difference

hFE of 2N5551 = 110 to 130
hFE of 2N5401 = 210 to 230

I am making the power amplifier, when I put them in the circuit, It may be not good sound.

Have anyone suggestion?

sorry!!! My english is not good.

Senee

This little jig might help you.

Attachments

• Marsh_BJT_Tester_Transistor_matcher.gif
    Marsh_BJT_Tester_Transistor_matcher.gif
    108.2 KB · Views: 460
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.