pioneer SA-6500 II problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

I hope you can help me with this one...

I have an old pioneer stereo amplifier from the 70's.
The model is SA-6500 II.
It's working ok, and it sounds extremly good, but there is
one problem: when I turn it on I have a big thumb for a second
or two...like big mmmmmm, so I always turn it on with the speakers' switch in off position, waits few seconds, and then turn the switch back on....

I think it's a dc offset problem, or maybe bias problem,
anyone has a clue on how to fix it? or anyone knows
where can I find the schematic?

Thanks in advance,

Udi.

There's a good change the electrolytic caps on that have dried up. They may need replacing. DC offset does not cause "MMMMM" for a sec or two... neither does bias... they usually cause it for a long time of out of whack.

Try replacing the samller caps around the input stages, seems like the input bias circuit has a defective capacitor.

Hi K-amps,

Thanks for the reply...

In fact, I have this problem for a few years now, and last year
I replaced all the electrolitic capacitors in the amp
(except for the power supply capacitors), and it didn't help,
and in fact the sound got worse :bawling:, but I guess this
is because I used cheap capacitors. :(

You think maybe it's the power supply capacitors?

Udi.

Hello udip,

do You solve that problem about bad sounds through switching amp on?
I received Pioneer SA-8500 with similar problem (left channel only), but here at me it works fine, I should wait until it sounds would appear!
I think the problems lying in some active component (diode or transistor), amp is very old and semiconductors change their characteristics.
Let us find it!!!

Regards, Munja :cool:

Help

I have a 1974 Pionner SA-6500 II amp that was givin to me 12 yrs ago and it has worked fine all these years but a few years back a friend of mine fliped it on and i guess was listing to rap and roasted the speakers to the point of setting them on fire the board isnt burnt any where i have been able to find but it still will not put out any sound on a loud buzzing noise any one that help me i would be greatfull

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.