Okay, okay... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2005, 02:23 AM   #1
Bogie is offline Bogie  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Okay, okay...

Some of you folks are making me feel downright inadequate...

About all I've used a multimeter for in the past has been checking continuity on network cabling...

So, what's a good, yet cost effective, digital multimeter?
Old 23rd February 2005, 02:27 AM   #2
Leolabs is offline Leolabs  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to Leolabs
Thing with eeee sound is quite good for checking continuityDoesnt care whether it is analog or digital.
Old 23rd February 2005, 02:46 AM   #3
anatech is offline anatech  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Depends on how much faith you put in your readings and how old the meter will be before you replace it.
There are many good reasons to buy a Fluke. I used to calibrate and optimize all makes. If you can afford it, buy a Fluke. Period.
-Chris
Old 23rd February 2005, 02:54 AM   #4
diyAudio Moderator

I just thought of something. We all started with something. Make the best of what you have, but understand the limitations of your meter. I started with a neon test light, and my finger. Meter good, finger bad in a tube amp. I have watched stuff explode, sometimes for fun. Those were the days.
Ever work on a five tube radio? They are fun. The chassis is live. The young tech is still alive, but jittery. The boss is laughing. That's why the service area can't be seen by the customer.
Just be safe and know your gear. Ask for help. Don't get shocked.

-Chris
Old 23rd February 2005, 03:23 AM   #5
Stocker is offline Stocker  United States
diyAudio Member

For most DIY / hobby work a cheapie multimeter will do you just fine. In my company's calibration labs, the meters cost well in excess of a thousand dollars. For a serious hobbyist, spending a couple hundred dollars will be a good idea. For a beginner who is strapped for cash, at least try to spend more than $20. My wife got me a (non-fluke! ) DVM for Christmas last year. I took it in to work and it reads the same as our $$$$ meters. Close enough for me.

If you have any aspirations to get deep into stuff, you may want to consider a meter with capacitance, inductance and transistor testers, but these can all be obtained as required later, as standalone devices that can do a much better job. At least get several ranges (or autorange) of voltage DC and AC, resistance, and current AC and DC, along with a diode/continuity checker/beeper.
Old 24th February 2005, 01:07 AM   #6
diyAudio Moderator

Hi Stocker,
You actually got a non-Fluke that was in tolerance? What brand was it? Just curious. My experience is that Flukes are almost the only ones that will hold their calibration.
Another important point. Fluke is almost the only handheld meter that gives meaningful readings at 1KHz and above. Other meters can only be trusted at 60 Hz. 120Hz is pushing it. I would tend to trust an HP, Extech (I think that's their name) is total garbage, stay away.
-Chris
Old 24th February 2005, 02:09 AM   #7
murat is offline murat  United States
diyAudio Member

It is definetly the one below. I have been using a pair of them for a couple of years. It reads 0.1 mV and 0.1 muA. I checked the voltmeter against Fluke and the agreement is around %1. It will read 3 1/2 digits ie 199.9 for any thing.For years, time to time I see this thing on sale for $ 4-5!!. This guys sell cheap stuff but everything I bought from them worked reasonably well - for the money paid just excellent.

Cheers

Murat

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=92020
Old 24th February 2005, 02:16 AM   #8
murat is offline murat  United States
diyAudio Member

Actually mine is this one with backlight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=30756
Old 24th February 2005, 03:13 AM   #9
Bogie is offline Bogie  United States
diyAudio Member

Okay - I'm gonna pick one of those up.

Why?

The folks have reverse engineered some chips, circuits and programs, and costs about the same to RE something expensive as it does to RE something cheap. I like _some_ HF tools - but I'll never trust their calipers or micrometers...
Old 24th February 2005, 03:22 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Not sure what your budget is like, but I would recommend a Fluke 112. Not very expensive ($120-$150 US) but measures capacitance and frequency in addition to the basics. It's small, autoranging, and bomb-proof.

http://www.tooldiscounter.com/ItemDi...?lookup=FLU112

They sell it at Amazon too for about 140.

Hide this!Advertise here!