P3A Power Supply - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th August 2002, 12:47 PM   #1
saurus is offline saurus  United States
diyAudio Member

Default P3A Power Supply

Hello all,

This is my first post, although I have been lurking for some time. I am preparing to build my first amp (a P3A) and I have this question:

I think I want to use separate rectifier/smoothing cap circuits for each of the two channels, but I notice that the power rails for the two individual amps on the P3A board are connected together. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of separate power circuits? Does anyone recommend cutting the board in half, or is this not a significant issue?
Old 13th August 2002, 01:09 PM   #2
JBL is offline JBL  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to JBL
I really don't think that this will be a problem.

This will not affect chanel separation at all.
Old 13th August 2002, 01:22 PM   #3
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

I cut my boards in half. This also makes spacing the channels on a heatsink easier.
Old 13th August 2002, 03:56 PM   #4
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

If the + and - rails of the two channels are conected together on the PCB then it would be a waste to use two power suplies, afterall they'll be connected together as one after. You could cut the board or break the traces if you really wanted a dual-mono configuration. Or just make one psu for the board to run off of. From what people say the p3a seems like a top notch (I'm planning on building one for my sub) AB amp, so you would probably notice an improvement with the dual-mono setup (especially if you use bigger toroids).
Old 13th August 2002, 06:24 PM   #5
paulb is offline paulb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Cut the traces. You don't need to cut the board (although you could if it makes your internal layout easier).
Old 14th August 2002, 12:35 PM   #6
saurus is offline saurus  United States
diyAudio Member

Default I'll cut the traces.

Thanks, everybody!
Old 27th August 2002, 09:01 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I'm currently making an amp based on two P3A boards - one is used for each channel.

Each P3A is split so that they are driven from the same pre-amp signal but the output is connected in a passive bi-wire arrangement to the high and low frequency connectors of my speakers.

My question is how would I earth this amp? The power is by means of two toroids (one for each channel) each having a bridge rectifier and two 4,700uF caps.

Would I lose any of the benefits of dual supplies if I tie the earths together? Also I'm employing a zero-volt-line (see ESP) does this effect how the earth is connected?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hide this!Advertise here!