What is Dynamic Headroom? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th February 2005, 06:38 PM   #1
keyser is offline keyser  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default What is Dynamic Headroom?

Hi all,

What is dynamic headroom? I've seen it expressed in db's, but I don't understand what it means.
Old 17th February 2005, 06:59 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Re: What is Dynamic Headroom?

Quote:
Originally posted by keyser
Hi all,

What is dynamic headroom? I've seen it expressed in db's, but I don't understand what it means.

Suppose your amp puts out 50W continuous under load. This is ultimately limited by the supply voltage, that sags under full load.
But with music, there is never a continuous full load, there is full load short peaks. Because of the supply caps, those short peaks can be deliverd to the speaker without the supply getting time to sag. The output power is there for higher with music, say 70 watts.
The difference between those 50 watts and the 70 watts is the headroom. 10*log (70/50) = 1.46dB headroom.

You also immediately realise now that an amp with a regulated supply has 0dB headroom.... Marketing won't like that, ma.

Jan Didden
Old 17th February 2005, 07:04 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

So, how would you calculate that upper power figure (in the case you mentioned, 70 watts)?

Reece
Old 17th February 2005, 07:41 PM   #4
keyser is offline keyser  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Thanks Jan,
Your explanation was very clear, but I still don't get it completely. How long is such "short peak" you are talking about. What determines the speed in which the maximum voltage available from the capacitors drops? Has dynamic headroom got something to do with stability of the amp? (I mean its ability in delivering double the current in half the load)
keyser

Hide this!Advertise here!