New CCS Idea

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone tried the back to back led and transistor ccs ( sijosae collection no12 ) or the back to back dual transistor ccs ( sijosae no 16 )? I use the no12 circuit frequently and published a note on it in Electronics World a couple of years back after discovering it in an ancient textbook. In theory it shouldn't work, and it doesn't simulate, because there's nothing to get it started. One explanation I have heard is that the leds act as photovoltaic devices; but the circuit works in the dark, and I've never been able to measure any photovoltaic output from a led. I suspect that its just leakage that gets it going.
The no16 circuit as shown by sijosae I have never been able to get self starting. This may be transistor dependent because I think I've seen reports of the basic circuit starting up by itself. However if you put leds across the resistors it will self start 100% reliably and give the calculated constant current. The leds do not turn on in operation but again I suspect that leakage currents develop enough voltage across the led to kick start the operation? Any ideas?

sijosae said:
chalky, you are correct.
No. 15 & 16 of my CCS collection did not self start.

OK..

So I do have a REALLY sore head.
I have run out of Coffee
I have been up all night working on a problem

But I am having difficulty finding the cross reference numbers.

post 15 or 16 don't seem to make sense.

I am REALY sorry to be a pain but this is an excellent topic and I want to follow it.

Brian

Attachments

• classab.gif
    classab.gif
    16.1 KB · Views: 610
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.