Sub Amp..in need of direction - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2005, 03:42 PM   #1
sickss is offline sickss  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Sub Amp..in need of direction

I am looking at driving a handfull of sealed inclosures. I Would like to find a cost effective MODULAR solution for power. I have searched the forum and found many class D designs...but very few AB designs with a fair amount of power. I would prefer something I can purchase a pre-printed PCB for, If not, someone who can print a high quality piece.

Looking for a modular design, 4 OHM load, 1200-2500 WRMS 18-90 HZ.

Thanks
Dennis
Old 16th February 2005, 06:48 AM   #2
keyser is offline keyser  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

what are you actually trying to do? Can you be more specific?
Looking for one amp to drive a "handfull of sealed enclosures"?...
Your power requirement is quite big. Usually, giving each driver its own amp works better. And can be cheaper too, as you do not need such a powerfull amp anymore.
Building your own amps is probably not better, or less expensive than buying a commercially available one. Building your own amps, you do for the fun of it, and the satifaction of playing with a self built piece of equipement.
For a lot of power for your money, look at pro-amps, as used at live gigs, pubs and dancings. Building your own 1200-2500 Watt amp can be hard, and buying a hifi-design with such powerrating will most likely be more expensive than you'd want it to.

http://www.krellonline.com/html/m_Cl...PBm_750cx.html
Old 16th February 2005, 04:01 PM   #3
sickss is offline sickss  United States
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input...But I thought this was the DIY Audio forum..not the BIY audio forum...LOL

Anyways.. I have been building RF amps for most of my life. And have done a fair amount of repair on some HIFI stuff. Most pro amps are way short in the PSU for this type of job...and alot of the HIFI stuff also. I am building it to save cash...And I have a hard time believeing it will cost more than $3k to build. The biggest problem for me is dealing with the PCB. If I can find a nice design that already has a PCB availible...then I will go that way. If Not, Then I am curious who is the best to make the PCB?

Thanks
Dennis

Hide this!Advertise here!