Wierd mixer problem..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a faiirly cheap mixing desk, full of opamps..

The problem is the left side of the master channel cuts out completely when the level is low.. When the level is increased to around 0dB theres a slight popping sound and the channel springs back to life..

so basically i have to keep my master level high or it cuts out..
It seems to be soley electronic as opposed to a mechanical fault..

has anyone heard of opamps cutting out at low levels?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Netlist said:
I could be a faulty cap but this is about the last thing I would look for.

I agree, my money is still on the pot. Those sypmtoms sound exactly like something liquid has been spilt over the mixer.

al/ remembers a Janet Jackson gig where a 2 litre carton of orange juice sailed majestically out of the crowd and landed right on the 48 channel Amek monitor desk.

Optical said:
heh, Its behringer..
If the output level stays above 0dB it always works fine..
could be a dry solder joint, but you'd expect it to cut in and out when you jiggled things..

faulty cap perhaps? I really have no idea.. its got me stumped..

Can tell you exactly what it is - ribbon cable from mainboard to output jack board. The cable conductors are too small for the IDC connectors - replace cable with some decent stuff.

Very common - other ribbons quite oftencause channels to drop out.

Cheers
Graeme

Im not quite sure what you mean by the ribbon cable being too small and causing the drop-out.. you mean physically too small? or electrically?

ok, well i guess i'll be pulling it all apart then.. the scrutinising with the scope thing is what i was planning on, not particularly looking foward to it though..

oh, it's an MX1604 for those interested. its never had anything split on it, does get a little dusty and the cat is always around :dodgy:

This is a common symptom of a loose connection - if there is high resistance, when you increase the level at some point there will be enough for the signal to "break through", and when signal current flows the resistance of the connection drops. Dirty switching contacts on insert jacks will behave the same way. With the Behringers, all controls are mounted on the circuit board, and not the front panel, so movement of controls can even vibrate the board enough for a loose connection to play up.

Cheers
Graeme

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.