Slones Totem Pole Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have recently built an OPTIMOS design from G. Randy Slone's "The Audiophiles Project Sourcebook" which I am very happy with. I am considering building Randy Slones Totem Pole design as my next project. I was wondering if anyone could provide more information on this design? Has built one and compared it the OPTIMOS? Or has anyone got any thoughts about the performance of this design?

I understand it is capable of 800W and uses 4x 2sk1058 and 42sj162 per channel

Goodlife

For those who are interested. I have been in contact with Mr Slone and he has provided me with the following information.

The Totem Pole's practical range is 100W to 600W. (ie 50 to 105 volt rails). This is dependant on whether you use single-die or double-die L-MOSFET's (ie 2sj162, 2sk1058 or BUZ901CDP, 906DP).

At lower power levels (i.e. 100 to 200-watts), the RIAA THD will drop to around 0.0007%. At 600-watt RMS outputs, the RIAA THD is approx. 0.004% (which is pretty amazing at such high power levels)

The Totem Pole design includes an Integrated Overload Protection circuit which is relatively new to his designs.

Hope others find this information useful

Goodlife

Hi,

I have built 2 x 135W Optimos (still need to be housed in proper enclosures). I am in the process of building a pair of 400W Optimos monoblock.

The amps sound fantastic and I basically think they are as good as a solid state amp can sound. Indeed, one day when I complete my amps, I am very interested in having an open invitation to anybody who own a Krell, Mark Levison, Gryphon, Halcro or any super commercial amps to come to my place to have a A/B comparison. I won't be surprised if the result is that the Optimos sounds as good or better - I have listened to those amps before, just haven't done any A/B comparison and they were connected to different speakers in different rooms, etc.

Anyone who lives in Sydney interested? Drop me an email!

How different the Totem Pole is from the Optimos? My guess is that they would be similar since I don't know how the Optimos can be improved. Of course, the Totem Pole has more power, and possibly more protection circuits built in.

I think I am contend with the Optimos and won't need the Totem Pole for the time being. Nevertheless, I am always interested in Mr. Slone's new design.

Regards,
Bill

Mr Slones products are available through

bradwilson@telus.net (North American Distributor)

And through

http://ledeaudio.com/index.html
lede@bigpond.net.au
(Australian Distributor)

Don't know why his website is no longer in use. I know he has stopped doing direct sales through it.
If anyone is interested in building his designs Randy Slones email address is:
sealelec@mikrotec.com

I recently contacted him regarding his OPTIMOS Totem Pole design and he sent me a .pdf of the schematic free of charge. I've haven't actually built it yet as I've managed to get side tracked with a different project.

I have found Mr Slone to be a really nice bloke and I am thoroughly satisfied with the OPTIMOS I built. I highly recommend his products.

Laters Goodlife

It doesn't say that the OPTI-MOS is no longer available in kit form. It says that the kits are no longer available directly through Seal Electronics. You now have to go through one of the nominated distributors.

As for the Totem Pole there is a .pdf containing specification at:

http://www.ledeaudio.com/audio_kits.html#KIT LIST
(This does NOT contain a schematic of the design).

Laters Goodlife

HiFiNutNut said:
Hi,

I have built 2 x 135W Optimos (still need to be housed in proper enclosures). I am in the process of building a pair of 400W Optimos monoblock.

The amps sound fantastic and I basically think they are as good as a solid state amp can sound.

I totally agree with that, I have build his "los distortion" 80watt hifi amp in the highpower amp construction manual and I also think this is about as good as solid state can get. I have said it before, but I was using a £700 integrated Quad 77, these are meant to be no slouch in the sound department, Indeed any reviewer who listened to one never said a very harsh word. Putting the slones on.... well that was a revelation, I was not expecting such an improvement.

Slone is also a very nice guy and very helpful when discussing potential problems you might be having with his amps.

A GOODBYE

HELLO TO YOU ALL FROM ATHENS GREECE . I KNOW I'LL MAKE YOU SAD BY THIS. WELL, TO YOUR KNOWLEDGE MR. RANDY SLOAN HAS PASSED AWAY SOME TIME AGO.
HE MADE LOTS AND LOTS OF HAPPY DIY PEOPLE. I AM ONE OF THEM.
I AM A TRILLION HAPPY OWNER OF AN OTIMOS POWER AMP. 2X200WATT.
THIS MONSTER CAN GO UP TO 450 WATTS ,NO PROBLEM . I DESIDED I DONT NEED MORE THAN THAT, BUT I HAVE THE EXTRA VOLTAGES ON MY CUSTOM MADE TRANSFORMER TO GO UP OR DOWN ANY TIME I LIKE. ITS THE
BEST AMP I EVER HAD .SOUNDS WONDERFULL, VERY DETAILED , VERY MUSICAL , VERY VERY POWERFULL. I MUST LET YOU KNOW THAT MR. RANDY SLOAN HAS WROTE 3 BOOKS. THE HOLLY BIBLE TO THE DIY COMMUNITY SHOULD BE THE AUDIOPHILES PROJECT SOURCEBOOK.
IT SAIS ON THE BACK WORTH ITS WEIGHT IN GOLD AND ITS TRUE. BUY IT. ITS CHEAP. WE OWE THAT TO HIS MEMORY AND HIS FAMILY.
I MUST SAY THAT EVERY DESIGN OF HIS IS WORKING PERFECTLY.READ AND REREAD THIS BOOK, EVERY TIME YOU'LL DISCOVER NEW THINGS.
THE OPTIMOS IS THE FIG. 6-21.
FARE WELL MR.RANDY SLOAN I WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER YOU EVERY TIME I'LL LOOKING AT MY NUMEROUS PROJECTS ,OR LISTEN TO MUSIC.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.