Leach Super Amp Pcb Re-Design (LSAPRD) - Page 23 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd March 2005, 06:19 AM   #221
pip is offline pip  Denmark
diyAudio Member

I'll hope Jens will share his work with the Leach super amp with us all - at least on his own webside!

I'm no expert in eletronics, but - as the "skin dead book keeper" I am - I can follow a cooks recipe. The last 1 year, I have learnt a lot in this forum, and I consult it every night.

I have build Jens' model of ESP's P3A - excelent sounding amp, but I was missing a bit of power. So what to do - called Jens and asked for his first leach amp version.

Sadly his was lost in a hardisc cash, so I build it with prof. Leach's board (made by myself). I have build 4 ordinary Low Tim amps and 2 super amps. All 6 with TO3's - Shure: I just hate wires!!! I had a problem with one of them, it run hot after a few minuts. What to do - I wrote to Jens. As the freindly person he is, he offered me at once his help. Before I got to Jens, I found the problem - where I live, we had a disaster i a firework factory, and the presior from the explosion had damaged my tweterband in my speakers (http://www.magnetostatic.com/). The tweterband was shorted, so the amp was working in something like 1 ohm or less. A new band in the speaker, and every thing was working - The Leach amp's sound wonderful!

Still - I want to build more, and I hate wires, so Jens pleace - Keep up the good working!

Old 2nd March 2005, 10:41 AM   #222
diyAudio Moderator

If anyone UK based needs heatsinks, have a look here. I may be setting up a Group Buy.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 2nd March 2005, 12:46 PM   #223
diyAudio Member

Hi pip,

I was wondering how much difference you hear between the Low TIM and the super amp. Which do you prefer if any? Is there a noticable step up in power between the two?

Thanks, Terry
X-BoSoZ, B1 Mezmerize, P101, Symasym, KSA 50, Aleph-X, Leach Low TIM, Leach Superamp, Dx MKIII, Super A, Honey Badger, JLH 1969, Gainclone. FetZilla, Peeceebee, VSSA PMI & jkuetemann, SKA GB150, Ovation nx & sx, AX&SX-14, TMG8, Slewmanster w/CFA-XH, Wolverine, Spooky, Symasui, Low TIM hybrid
Old 2nd March 2005, 04:56 PM   #224
pip is offline pip  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hej Terry!

No I don't hear any diff. in the sound between the super amp and the Low Tim amp.

Neigher do I fell any diff. in the output, but the also sit on the same 40V-0-40V/500VA transformer with 60mF caps.

I have a plan of putting in an other transform of 20V-0-20V/500VA in serie with the first, and ad som 100V caps. In this way I can get (I think) about +-85 Volt for the super amp.

I have build the super amp, because my speakers have so low impedance - about 3 - 3 ohm for the midrange and 2 - 2 ohm for the high. Thats is also why I am so interested in Jens' 10 tansistor version.

I will post some pictures, if I can borrow my wifes camera. I think it maybe shout be in the thread: "UGLY Looking Amp! - but good working", because the are made out of old computer stof, heatsink from old solarcells, free samples from ON semi and other old dead amps - Almost pure recycle!

Regards, Per
Old 2nd March 2005, 06:27 PM   #225
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to JensRasmussen Send a message via MSN to JensRasmussen
Hi Per,

Nice to see you posting here.

Go on, show us your amps, I'm sure they are great.

\Jens
Old 2nd March 2005, 07:16 PM   #226
diyAudio Member

Thanks Per,

I haven't heard the P3A but I just finished an ESP P101 using Rods boards and it sounds swell. If the Leach is better sounding I gotta get this thing done.

I'm not sure if I'll build another Superamp right away. I have two Hafler trannies that I beieve are 45-0-45V/450VA. I will probably look for something I can use one of those in for my next project. Very likely it will be Jens' Low TIM. I already have all or the transistors for it from On Semi.

I would like to try my hand at a class A amp however, so I may look for something in that design.

Blessings, Terry
X-BoSoZ, B1 Mezmerize, P101, Symasym, KSA 50, Aleph-X, Leach Low TIM, Leach Superamp, Dx MKIII, Super A, Honey Badger, JLH 1969, Gainclone. FetZilla, Peeceebee, VSSA PMI & jkuetemann, SKA GB150, Ovation nx & sx, AX&SX-14, TMG8, Slewmanster w/CFA-XH, Wolverine, Spooky, Symasui, Low TIM hybrid
Old 2nd March 2005, 07:34 PM   #227
diyAudio Member

I would like to try my hand at a class A amp however, so I may look for something in that design.

Terry
JLH 10w amp and uses the same outputs as the Leach. and I think it sounds great.

Serosmaness
Old 9th March 2005, 05:58 AM   #228
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to JensRasmussen Send a message via MSN to JensRasmussen
Hello,

Now that acenovelty has got his own thread to promote his design work, maybe its time to pick up the work in this thread.

Hopefully we can now discuss flat pack type transistor layout without someone advocating to keep the TO-3 ones.

Everybody still interested, lets get it going again.

\Jens
Old 9th March 2005, 12:39 PM   #229
diyAudio Member

Hi Jens,

I was under the impression that you were still developing the design. I am certainly looking forward to seeing it. Really looking forward to hearing what folks think of it once someone has built and tested it.

Please proceed.

Blessings, Terry
Old 9th March 2005, 06:40 PM   #230
diyAudio Member

Default TO-3

Ahh no t-03 .Hee hee just kidding . I got 247's now SO I am in on new design.I am going to use all my to-3 for the regular leach.I do have a question capacitors though and I dont want to start one of those huge debate things like in every other search I did . I never did find any good answers.I see alot of the designs have those box type film caps in them . i ordered from Dr. leach parts list and the ones i got where not the box type.And on Jens board there are many box types.Is it okay to use Say silver mica for those caps or is it way over kill.with at least same voltage or higher.And does anyone have some good links to a thread that contains more then just people arguing over best types.And where do I find the wiki for Jens new design . I cant find it . Thank You all ,

Lee

Hide this!Advertise here!