Op-amp open loop bandwidth.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
beppe61 said:
Dear Friends,

In the data sheet of the op-amps I can easily find the Open Loop Gain (usually huge).
To find the open loop bandwidth is a mistery to me.

Is someone willing to help me ?

Thank you very much indeed.

Regards,

beppe61

In a data sheet you find two sections:

- a table with numeric data
- a series of graphs

In the table section you can find

- the numeric value of the open loop gain (large signal voltage gain AOL usually expressed in V/V)

- the numeric value of the Gain Bandwidth Product (GBW usually expressed in MHz)

The open loop bandwith is = GWB/AOL (if the AOL is expressed in V/mV you have to divide the result by 1000)

In the graphs section you can find a graph titled Open Loop Frequency Response. The Open loop bandwidth is the frequency where the line of the graph starts to tilt down.

The numbers you find using the two ways I suggest have to be equal (more or less)

Regards
Marco

Dear Marco,

Thank you very much fro your kind and valubale reply.
Am I wrong or the open loop bandwidth for the majority of op-amps is very small ?
What can this imply ?
I am referring to all those discussions about TIM distortion and so on.
I am very intersted in knowing your point of view.
As you can see from my posts here I am looking for simple line preamp schematics.
I posted one.
Do you have any suggestion?

Thank you very much indeed.

Regards,

beppe61

Low open loop bandwidth in reasonable (single pole compensated) op amps implies high gain at low frequencies

What this means for audio is subject to some debate here

Feedback theory and distortion measurement (IMD distortion as well as harmonic) of feedback amplifiers shows that more loop gain lowers distortion

Some people claim that high feedback amplifiers don’t sound as good as similar technology amplifiers with less loop gain, or flat loop gain over the audio frequency range

TIM, PIM distortion mechanisms that Otala discussed in JAES in the ‘70’s are often cited as technical reasons to explain the perceived differences

I don’t find PIM to be a convincing argument for preferring low gain-high bandwidth circuits – the missing link has to be demonstrating that PIM is audibly 100x more objectionable than “AM” IMD products since both are reduced by high negative feedback whereas wide bandwidth-low loop gain designs accept higher AM distortion over the whole audio band to avoid the AM to PM conversion that comes from using a integrating loop gain characteristic over the audio band

Dear Mr. Jcx,

Thank you for your kind and thorough reply.
But I understand that Mr. Otala became famous not on the basis of his theory but in relation with the sonic quality of his well received projetcs, or I am mistaking ?
Someone became audio classics (Harman Kardon Citation XX for instance. A every audio lover dream).
What I wanted to imply is that a low open loop bandwidth is a situation that worries me on principle.

May be I am too banal.

Kind regards,

beppe61

Op amps often have open loop bandwidths near 100 Hz.
They are intended to be used closed loop, which has all
sorts of consequences, including wider bandwidth.

If you desire a "linear" amp, i.e. low distortion, you must
use negative feedback to linearize the horribly non-linear
gain devices. If not "loop" feedback, as in an opamp, it
is "local" feedback. I can't comment on whether anyone
can hear the difference.

Best Regards,

Dear Mr. Stevebeccue,

Thank you very much for your kind reply.
If understand well (please be sure that I don't want to be ironic at all, I am just trying to understand) you mean that no difference between two preamps with similar measurements?
I read the opinions of lots of people that much prefer, sonically speaking, a preamp without feedback (i.e Nelson Pass Aleph P) to an op-amp based line preamp (i.e. Morrison Elad) even if the latter has much better measurements.
I am posting here to try to understand if this is a myth or a reality.

Thank you very much for your post that I think useful to the discussion.

Kind regards,

beppe61

Mr. Otala is the base of Electrocompaniet power amplifier company.

There's one man that can comment about High OL, Low OL, TIM, PIM, AM-PM, etc impact to sound (how audibly they are). He is called John Curl (JC) here.

I'm sure he is able to comment, but wheter he is willing or not is another question, since he is a professional designer, still making commercial amps now. These things are "secrets" for designers like him.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
lumanauw said:
Mr. Otala is the base of Electrocompaniet power amplifier company.

There's one man that can comment about High OL, Low OL, TIM, PIM, AM-PM, etc impact to sound (how audibly they are). He is called John Curl (JC) here.

I'm sure he is able to comment, but wheter he is willing or not is another question, since he is a professional designer, still making commercial amps now. These things are "secrets" for designers like him.

He has commented on that in many posts here. If you read them, read the whole thread. There are many knowledgeable people here who don't agree whith with many of his opinions, and back that up with facts. Very educational discussions.

Jan Didden

Hi, Janneman,

He has commented on that in many posts here. If you read them, read the whole thread. There are many knowledgeable people here who don't agree whith with many of his opinions, and back that up with facts. Very educational discussions.
Yes, he involved in almost all discussions about these IM family. But as far as I remember, he hardly gives a clue how they sounds in real world. I'm sure he knows how they sounds in real amp:D
Many times, other member here argues with him. But I'm sure he's full with real life amplifier audible effect with these IM family, since he already learning about them from the time these IM family is given name.

beppe61 said:

What I wanted to imply is that a low open loop bandwidth is a situation that worries me on principle.

beppe61

on 1st sight the phrase "low open loop bandwidth" seems to imply a defect but the proper comparison is between designs with the same GBW - gain*bandwidth at some point on the (unadvoidable) low pass falling slope of the gain curve - where for a 1st order roll off the GBW is nearly constant

when comparing amplifiers with the same GBW product a "high bandwidth" design actualy has lower gain at DC and low frequencies up to the intercept with the constant GBW roll off region, the "low open loop bandwidth" amplifier with the same GBW product has the same gain as the high bandwidth amplifier beyond the "high" 1st low pass corner frequency and lots more gain at frequencies below the "high bandwidth" amplifier's corner frequency

my reasoning:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=489927&highlight=#post489927

beppe61 said:
I read the opinions of lots of people that much prefer, sonically speaking, a preamp without feedback (i.e Nelson Pass Aleph P) to an op-amp based line preamp (i.e. Morrison Elad) even if the latter has much better measurements.
I am posting here to try to understand if this is a myth or a reality.

Kind regards,

beppe61 [/B]

Beppe61,
I did not mean to reply that there is no audible difference, just
that I (me myself) can't hear a difference. Many people think they can (but I'm not sure they do double-blind tests....). It is easy to
build both and check for yourself!!!! I've witnessed many listening tests; easily measured distortion CAN be heard.

I also meant to be clear that the Aleph P, and many other amplifiers DO EMPLOY NEGATIVE FEEDBACK. It is local feedback, with little or no global (or loop) feedback. It has all the same (mostly good) characteristics of negative feedback. I just wished to point out that there still is negative feedback, so the real differences are topological only. I also suspect most strongly, that if you can truly hear a difference, you can measure a difference.

I hope this is of some help.....

Best Regards,

stevebeccue said:

Beppe61,
I also meant to be clear that the Aleph P, and many other amplifiers DO EMPLOY NEGATIVE FEEDBACK. It is local feedback, with little or no global (or loop) feedback. It has all the same (mostly good) characteristics of negative feedback.

Dear Steve,

I was referring to the Pass Aleph P line preamp not the power amp.
I believe it does not use negative feedback, neither loop or local.
I am most interested in preamp because if you distort the signal at the beginning of the audio chain then you can only amplify that distortion.

Kind regards,

beppe61

beppe61 said:
stevebeccue said:

Beppe61,
Dear Steve,

I was referring to the Pass Aleph P line preamp not the power amp.

Kind regards,

beppe61

If I am looking at the correct thing.... R25 and R28-R31 are
the negative feedback, and Dr. Pass himself discusses the
lower distortion (higher linearity) that results. Of course, I could be looking at the wrong circuit, in which case, I appologize.

There is, nonetheless, a small amount of negative feedback here. I wonder what is the distortion like? If I have a chance today, I'll simulate and see what THD looks like. JFETs normally have a quadratic transfer function, and one suspects 2cd harmonic distortion would result. (It is precisely this type of distortion, along with TIM distortion, that I think one can hear.)

stevebeccue said:

If I am looking at the correct thing.... R25 and R28-R31 are
the negative feedback, and Dr. Pass himself discusses the
lower distortion (higher linearity) that results. Of course, I could be looking at the wrong circuit, in which case, I appologize.

Dear Steve,

I am attaching the complete article with the schematics of the Nelson Pass Bride of Zen line preamp.
As you can see is a single mosfet class A single ended no feedback line preamp.
There are no distortion spectrum figures in the article.
My be some of the good reviews are due to some 2nd harmonic distortion of such simple topology. Don't know.
But I understand this is the basic topology that Mr. Pass used in his well regarded old line preamp, the Aleph L and P.
I built one and it sounded nice.
I would like to try a better regulated power supply one day.
The quality of sound depends greatly on the quality of the power supply.

I am looking forward to hearing your opinion.

Kind regards,

beppe

P.S. File too big.
I'll post the URL.

beppe61 said:
Dear Steve,

This is the link to the article:

http://www.passdiy.com/pdf/brideofzen.pdf

Kind regards,

beppe

P.S. File too big to be attached.

Thank you Beppe. I was indeed looking at the wrong circuit. Here, R108 is the negative feedback. Notice it is 10 times the
1/gm of the MOSFET. Still, a light feedback. If I get a chance, I'll simulate it....

I looked at www.passdiy.com/projects/pearlono3.html. I did
a quick sim of the output stage of this preamp. With 40mVpp input, and 1Vpp output, this stage had 0.62% THD, predominantly 2cd harmonic.

Of course, if people like what the hear, nothing else matters.

Best Regards,

stevebeccue said:

Thank you Beppe. I was indeed looking at the wrong circuit. Here, R108 is the negative feedback. Notice it is 10 times the
1/gm of the MOSFET. Still, a light feedback. If I get a chance, I'll simulate it....

I looked at www.passdiy.com/projects/pearlono3.html. I did
a quick sim of the output stage of this preamp. With 40mVpp input, and 1Vpp output, this stage had 0.62% THD, predominantly 2cd harmonic.

Of course, if people like what the hear, nothing else matters.

Best Regards,

Dear Steve,

Are you meaning the people like a certain amount of nice distortion?
This is a very interesting topic.
I could be that some 2nd HD acts as a harmonic enhancer especially with digital sounds sometime poor on harmonic content.
I remember that X10 from Musical Fidelity.

I would be very interested in knowing your opinion.

Kind regards,

beppe61

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.