Upgrade advice - general and specific (Quad 33/303)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All --

I'm new to the list and fairly new to the world of DIY modding, although not to upgrading equipment in general, as have paid pros to do various things for years to bits of kit, with much improved sound. Recently upgraded my speakers myself with great success, but it got me interested in doing more, so...

Just purchased a Quad 33/303 combo. Both look like they need a service/overhaul, particularly the 303 which is an early serial no. and doesn't look like it's ever had a service. 33 was serviced 10 years ago by Quad.

Here's the thing. I'm fairly handy with a soldering iron, and I know a fair amount about electronics in theory and in some areas, but not in others - I'm mainly lacking some practical know how and expericence.

I gather some of the first things to replace on the power amp are the power smoothing caps and the speaker coupling caps. Followed closely by the caps on the power supply board. As I understand it, you could uprate the smoothing and speaker coupling caps to a higher farad rating (as well as using higher quality caps, etc).

Is it true also that I could basically go through both units and simply replace all the caps and resistors with new and higher quality ones, in essence servicing them myself and getting an upgrade into the bargain? If so, do I have to replace like cap for cap, like resistor for resistor? In which case, I don't just mean keeping the values the same, but the type (e.g. electrolytic for electrolytic, polypropylene for polypropylene...) or can I change type - e.g. metal oxide resistor for tantalum resistor, etc?

What is generally acceptable/ desirable/ safe?

Sorry to ask what may be 'dumb' questions to some, but I have to start learning somewhere and a little sage advice from more seasoned DIY-ers at this stage could save me a lot of trial, error, and blown speakers!

Any advice greatly appreciated (apart from 'get a life'!)

James

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.