use of wood as enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
At engineering school i was told the word derived from "enginuity".
It meant always trying to find different solutions, trying to look at problems in different perspectives.
I had classes in alternative thinking, creativity, and random brainstorming.
Engineering also implies looking at feasability, making cost-gain analysis, deciding on effort versus possible outcome.
In your terms, a good one will be both Dionysian as Apollonian.

Here is a picture of a bunch of the metal enclosures i use for the GC.
They are pointwelded, rigid constructions, not much chance of vibrations.
Originally produced for use as amplifiers in highway police porsche911's by a professional amplifier company.
I bought their entire stash of storage leftovers, some 20 of these boxes, including 50 or so output stages on heatsinks.
On the top is the second GC amp card, mounted on a heatsink attached to a metal plate that is designed to be attached inside the metal amp enclosure.

This one will be built in a wooden enclosure, i am still thinking on a fast way to make one that is extremely rigid too, to be compatible with the other GC in metal output.

Attachments

• gc metal enclosure.jpg
    gc metal enclosure.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 195
I'm aware that you read stuff like HCI and have a general idea about design. I have about 20 points (a semester) in Java and database and such. But I only use those things, and software like Director, for prototyping. Another reason we studied those things is so we can communicate with engineers.

But we still think very different. I do not equate usability with functionality, for example. Sometimes dysfunctionality is the best option. Lets put it this way. Solid-state fans (if there is such an expression) aren't solid-state fans because they don't like the qualities tube fans like in tubes. I'm not going to draw a diagram here. This isn't the place for that. But we as DIYers, music lovers, audiophiles, whatever, obviously seek different things. And one of those things comes down to philosophy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.