Fet regulator circuit - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th August 2002, 09:23 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Re: as seen on ML 23,5

Quote:
Originally posted by HarryHaller
Peter great job as usual. You are the Martha Stewart of DIY.

H.H.
I guess my philosophy was: even if the design wasn't great, if I make it look nicely I would feel better about it. It changes now when I get all the info from this forum and form is not as important as it used to be.

The blue caps are Rifa and the schematic is as follows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ps1.jpg (77.3 KB, 1211 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 17th August 2002, 10:58 PM   #22
Banned

Default Fet regulator

Schematic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fetreg2.jpg (46.3 KB, 1171 views)
Old 17th August 2002, 11:00 PM   #23
Banned

Default Fet regulator

Nicer schematic
Attached Files
File Type: zip fetreg2.zip (15.4 KB, 352 views)
Old 17th August 2002, 11:08 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Nice schematic.
I wouldn't like to exploit you too much Harry, but since you are in a schematic posting mood, how about the schematic for modifed current sources for input differencial you showed us in your Tex-X?
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 18th August 2002, 12:28 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Thanks guys No doubt I will be starting some debate just as soon as I get a chance to properly study the above.

Ian.
Old 18th August 2002, 03:52 PM   #26
Banned

Lightbulb Fet Regulator debate

I guess it wouldn't hurt to give a little design background on the regulator circuit.

Vin should be between 24 and 30 volts. Vout is 16.2 V with the feed back resistor values shown be could be set for 12 V to 20 V with enough input voltage. Vin - Vout should be 10 to 15 volts. The circuit could be adapted for negative voltage with p channel devices swapped for N channel and vice versa. An RC filter increases the PSRR for the voltage references and diffamp

LEDs are biased by a constant current diode for 5.4 volt and also Vin - 3.6 volt references. A p channel mosfet provides a current souce for the drain resistor to ground and half the current through the jfet diff pair. Putting the drain resistor to ground instead of Vin provides better PSRR and freedom in baising jfet diff amp for higher drain current and therefor higher gain. It is probably to only thing novel about this circuit.

A p channel fet is used to drive the n channel fet to help offset the gate to source voltage and increase to open loop bandwith.

DC gain is 3 and bypassing the feedback resistor with a cap reduces noise and output inpedance by a factor of three at audio frequencies. The circuit has about 40 dB of negative feedback an could be easily changed for more or less feedback. I have tried to use the pararmeters that make a good preamp circuit for the voltage regulator by paying attention to noise,bandwidth, PSRR, not using too much negative feedback, using all fets and LEDS, and keeping the circuit simple and compact. It is much more fun and tunable than the standard three terminal or op amp based regulator and required little design or construction time. I like using all discretes with no ICs for even the voltage references.

H.H.
Old 18th August 2002, 06:51 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Thanks Harry for taking the time and trouble to provide both a schematic and a description of its operation. I think you are perhaps being just a little too modest when you say that the drain to ground is the only novel thing about your circuit.

Sadly I cannot find much to debate, though I would like to know how well it works - preferably in terms of the real world performance of the equipment being powered. I too am building a preamp (along with Aleph-X and various other X like things) and consequently am interested in suitable power supplies. Now if only someone would start back engineering Wayne's secret attenuator...

One question I do have, is why are the gate resistors of apparently arbitrary (and slightly larger than the norm) value? Is it arbitrary or am I just ignorant? Presumably the LEDs were chosen for being quieter than other voltage references (e.g. Zeners). I note too your inclusion of C8, an idea from another thread if I am not mistaken. This has worked well for me in another power supply.

Final question (honest). I note that your regulator derives its reference from the (filtered) input voltage, whereas the ML schematic posted by Peter, takes it from the output. Apart from the need to make sure that the regulator actually starts up with the latter arrangement, is there any other reason to prefer the input arrangement?

Back to the X-SOZ thread now as it seems to have gone a bit stale.

Ian.
Old 18th August 2002, 08:40 PM   #28
Banned

Default You did it to us again!

Once again, you insist on posting in a format some of us ponces cannot open. Why must you be so strident? Probably uses too many parts anyway.

And don't tell him he is being modest, that will only encourage more of his outlandish behaviour.

(The above posting is meant to be gratuitous humour for those of you not aware of Hairy Holler's past actions.)

Jocko
Old 18th August 2002, 11:33 PM   #29
Banned

Default Sadly I cannot find much to debate

Sorry to dissapoint you. Gate resistors chosen for stablity and to protect fets from discharge currents of 0.1uF and 3 uF caps on power down. C8 across feedback resistor I probably saw in the Sulzer regulator article in Audio Amatuer in 1980 I think. I used one current diode (Z> 10 Meg!) to bias both LED voltage references but did use RC filter before references and front end diff amp. This is a little better than a resistor..... I think rejection of input noise may even be more important than low output impedence for regulators for line level circuits. A fairly low voltage for the refence voltage was to help keep drain to source voltages for the jfets and P mosfet current source high enough to lower capacitance and decrease output conductance. The use of a P channel mosfet to drive the output mosfet also allows a greater drain to source voltage to lower capacitance. A lenthy look at the fet data sheets is very enlightening on these details. I also like to isolate device capacitances with resistors to minimize RF funnies from wiring inductance. Thanks for your interest.

H.H.
Old 19th August 2002, 01:03 AM   #30
Banned

Thumbs up Sulzer regulator

The grandfather of all line level regulators. Michael Sulzer's op amp based regulator from The Audio Amateur 2/1980. A1 can be built from discreet transistors for the op amp phobic. A good simple topology that has been the basis for dozens of designs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sulzerregsch.jpg (18.0 KB, 964 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!