Toshiba 2SC3281/2SA1302 - Are these fakes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looks like the important pics didn't post. Here they are.

Attachments

• 3281Before1.jpg
    3281Before1.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 662
  • 3281Before2.jpg
    3281Before2.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 702
  • 1302After2.jpg
    1302After2.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 643
  • 1302After1.jpg
    1302After1.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 638
  • 3281After2.jpg
    3281After2.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 677
OMG , those dies are small . ON semi NJW0281/0302 are 4 X larger ,the NJW21193/4's are 6 of those. FAKES !!!

mje15032/3 dies are the same size (drivers )
OS

edit - here is the real thing (big die - not glued on , either - attachment)

Attachments

• Screwup.jpg
    Screwup.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:
Thanks for the info on the driver transistors. I figured they were re-labeled. No sign of the faces being sanded that I could see, though. The cases are pretty shoddy on the 1302s. Lots of voids around the collector. All the scratches on the collectors looked suspicious to me, too. I didn't take any side shots, but they were all flat & straight.

BTW, thanks to everyone here that contributed earlier to the fakes threads. I found this doing research on something else & it has saved me from installing these junkers in an amp. Info here also helped me find the replacement numbers so that I could get them from Mouser. Thanks again!

here's the marking layout from a 2SA1943 datasheet. if you compare this with pictures of KNOWN ORIGINAL devices earlier in this thread, you will see the proper placement of the beta code as well. according to Toshiba's Semiconductor Reliability Handbook, the date code is a digit and letter, the digit being the last digit of the year, and the letter (A-L) is the month code (A for JAN, B for FEB, etc,.. with L for DEC). the dot is a factory code, and i've always seen a single dot here on all Toshiba power transistors. the other options are 2 dots or no dots. now for RoHS devices, the date code is underlined,

Attachments

• toshiba-to3p-markings.jpg
    toshiba-to3p-markings.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 424
i have almost the same problems with this transistors,5200 toshiba one of my amp module aclone amplyfire md800 was damaged,ireplaced them with pnps and it played well 10min, i raized a volume high not even 2 min fuses blown now i took from other channel all pnps npns 5 and 5.put volume full no problem now the other chanell as soon i raise a volume full it blown the problem now is they look the same toshiba how to identify i am in south africa.

Oooooooo, this is interesting, one chip is smaller than the other, and there is some white stuff on the small one! :bigeyes: That ain't a 100 Watt BJT!!!!! :mad:

The other one appears to have some copper pad, and has a much larger piece of silicon on it, I killed it! :bawling:

Well that solves that mistery, I think when I need to find new Toshiba outputs.... I will just go to Ebay and buy some cheap SS amp such as the Fisher CA860 that the really good "O" types were found in.

Hello
I read over these thread because I have some so called original Toshiba transistors. Need for P3A project..
I purchased here in Toronto from local store "they told 100% orig".
So I break up one after I saw some picture here and sadly realized that 100% fake.
The number on the chip perfect (now is magnified many times so it does not look like) and engraved but the chip inside much smaller than the regular Toshiba's.
When the case similar to to the ON semi "has that island for the writing" that 100% fake after my experience.
Also when the chip is green but the lettering is black that 100% fake to.
That is the world we live even over the $5 + tax chip is fake.:(
And the store do not take (no exchange or refund) back sold semis!!!

Greetings Gabor

Attachments

• Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 297
Capacitance !

Can you measure base collector capacitance ?
That should be a dead give away.....isn't it ? Most DMM's nowadays seem to have some capability to measure capacitance.
Small wafers should have much lower capacitance. Check what the data sheet says about capacitance. Of course it will not be the same as you will have hardly any voltage on the terminals when you measure but the 'range' might be an indication.

I deliberately bought a fake 2sc5200 ( from Singapore...long ago !) to see what it was like. Must search it out and measure the capacitance.

Hi Gabor please remember that there is still possibility that a fake part may sound good.

A transistor has many characteristics. Some characteristics are relevant with sound, some are not. When a fake part needs to conform with power handling characteristics of the original, then they might sacrifice other characteristics more related to sound quality.

We don't know which characteristics are closer or farther than the original, but I think power handling (Vce max) is the critical characteristics, but fortunately it has no direct relevance with good sound.

Many low Vce transistors are good sounding, not so with high Vce ones.

I have found that in my country it is very hard to find original parts. Sankens (ring emitter) can handle high Vce (which is crucial for PA amplifiers to get the mega watt) but nothing can beat a Toshiba 2SC5200 ($2.7 a pair). Even the original Blue-Black 30M devices cannot "beat" them in my subjective listening test with many circuits.

My point is, if you don't need the high Vce rating, just listen to the transistor. Who knows it sound more preferable...

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Jay, the issue is that the buyer is being duped. False advertising and fraudulent business practice are in there too. The transistors could well squeak and whistle like a soprano and turn a piano into a glockenspiel but they are not what you bargained for.

Imagine your disappointment when you buy more of these wonderful fakes only to find they sound more like fog horns next time instead! Very few fakes come with any promise of pleasant distortion effects - most seem to sound awful, which shouldn't be surprising.
If you pay good money, you can expect good parts or the whole concept of global commercial trade becomes a nonsense of deception and theft. We would simply stop buying.

Then there really is the matter of power handling. If a pair of driver chips were indeed big enough to drive my 90W amplifier, why would I use anything more expensive than a driver transistor in the first place?

yes I understand Ian. The "good" thing about fake parts in my local market is that they are very cheap. So from the price alone we should look at them as cheap substitute. I don't know how much do you pay for a Toshiba 2SC5200 and its complementary. But $2.7 a pair is I think cheaper than what you pay for.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yes, if you can characterize the fakes and buy them as what they really are - say a low gain TIP31/32 in TO264 packages - you might then begin to understand what you are really using and think twice about the method and cost. I would think genuine TIP31/32 would be cheaper in any market. They just don't look as cool, though ;)

FWIW, we can all purchase genuine 2SC5200/A1493 or FJL4215/4315 for around $3 per pair in quantity - like 100+. Group buys for 6-10 people are a reasonable way to do this, even allowing freight and import duty.

Fakes should be exposed.
Fakes should be boycotted.

If all the fakes were left on the shelves (including the returned "opened" versions) then the fake makers and the fake sellers would have no business.

DO NOT accept refusal to refund. Make it difficult for their business. Stick a big poster (well glued) on the shop window ! Every day if necessary.

I agree with Ian and Andrew 100%
Fake even cost more- not less- more!
I purchased Sanken transistor also from the same store here in Toronto. When I powered up the amplifier one of the transistor case exploded to my face! That amp from Dr.Bora DoGC you can look it up..
It cost more when you damage or burn other parts to.
And when I pay for fake a Toshiba over $5/PC like they are orig that robbery!!!
The problem if I post a poster or anything they call the police, I end up in trouble. Their policy no one force you to buy it!
No refund on semis!!!

Greetings Gabor

unfortunately, the pokice and even city government officials will not understand the reasons the transistors are fake. it would be better to find out what government agency (if any) investigates this type of fraud, and report it to them. if you could have the parts tested by a company that does this, and send a copy of the test report and your sales receipt to that agency, they just might have something to work with. or you can write a blog, naming names, and get it listed on a search engine, so that when somebody looks up that company online, one of the first things that pops up in the search engine is your blog article with a title "ACME Components sells fake transistors"

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Fake trade

The problem is not with established local businesses. We are often dealing in small international transactions with small (even apartment bedroom) traders. All the police and armies you can muster will be useless in trying to regulate widely established business practices of low-income economies in cultures where western laws and social norms can be ignored or merely exploited for advertising purposes. There are masses of these guys queuing in line for major listings like Ebay, so putting them out of business with name and shame tactics will be ineffective.

False claims for non-working goods are also common since many purchasers, even here on DIY audio, confess that their assessments are only based on whether their circuit works or not. They have no clue either, so don't presume that all claims are genuine when we rush to support their contentions.

Wake up! It is our gamblers' mentality that drives us to buy anything at stupidly low prices. Only western laws prevent sellers from deceiving you with goods worth no more than what you pay and if such laws can't be enforced in the seller's jurisdiction, you have been suckered! :headbash:

Surely, once bitten-twice shy? Nope, gambling is addictive and no one is going to stop suckers being attracted to low prices and easy deals. Still, what really irks me is a couple of local guys re-offering this junk on Ebay here at up to 8 times the Chinese price with the addition of high post and pack charges! Now that really is galling :mad:

The real problem is that if you're looking for a specific, usually obsolete, transistor type you may just be SOL. Simply using the latest and greatest Toshiba type that you buy new at Digi-key may not be an option. It is for new design, but for exact replacements your options are limited. Just you try finding a real 2SD424 these days. Or for even more of a challenge, a 2N6259. It's even harder than getting C3281's. If you're willing to just use 21194's - great! But if not....

The occasional hobbyist who only buys a pair or two at a time is probably even more likley to get bit. Not knowing any better, not needing enough to justify a $20 order and pay $20 shipping, or wanting to keep the transaction in cash can force you down a path that leads to bad transistors. For hobbyists in this category (I was once) scavenging from used equipment is often a better option.

That being said, I've bought my share of surplus NOS C3281/A1302's, among other parts. But I only buy when I can hold them in my hand, crack a few of them open, and then buy from the same tube(s).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.