AR Amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th January 2005, 10:57 PM   #1
colinc is offline colinc  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default AR Amp

I have owned this amp for many years but it recently failed. One of the psu capacitors failed and I have replaced these. One channel is working fine but the 2nd is dead.

Does anyone have a circuit diagram? Also any fault finding hints would be appreciated.

Are these amps considered worth saving and/or improving? I like it for it's switchable mm/mm phono input and would be sad to see it binned.

Thanks, Colin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg teledynear.jpg (3.8 KB, 270 views)
Old 31st January 2005, 09:56 AM   #2
diyAudio Moderator

A classic piece of 80's hi-fi! What model number is that? A photo of the inside would be nice.

I certainly wouldn't give up on it yet. Is the dead channel working on the tape loop? If so, it is likely to be a power amp problem. If that is the case, at the very least you could take the signal off the volume pot and use the unit as a preamp, or if the pcb is traceable, cram a couple of chip amps inside instead of the existing power stages.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 31st January 2005, 11:40 PM   #3
colinc is offline colinc  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks, the idea of using the pre-amp hadn't occurred to me. It's a separate board linked to the main board by a ribbon cable. If I can work out the circuit then that might be doable.

I did think about the chip-amp option and have some of brian's kits on order.

I'll wait a bit though to see what help people can offer before I give up on the original.

Hide this!Advertise here!