AR Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have owned this amp for many years but it recently failed. One of the psu capacitors failed and I have replaced these. One channel is working fine but the 2nd is dead.

Does anyone have a circuit diagram? Also any fault finding hints would be appreciated.

Are these amps considered worth saving and/or improving? I like it for it's switchable mm/mm phono input and would be sad to see it binned.

Thanks, Colin

Attachments

• teledynear.jpg
    teledynear.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 291
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
A classic piece of 80's hi-fi! What model number is that? A photo of the inside would be nice.

I certainly wouldn't give up on it yet. Is the dead channel working on the tape loop? If so, it is likely to be a power amp problem. If that is the case, at the very least you could take the signal off the volume pot and use the unit as a preamp, or if the pcb is traceable, cram a couple of chip amps inside instead of the existing power stages.

Thanks, the idea of using the pre-amp hadn't occurred to me. It's a separate board linked to the main board by a ribbon cable. If I can work out the circuit then that might be doable.

I did think about the chip-amp option and have some of brian's kits on order.

I'll wait a bit though to see what help people can offer before I give up on the original.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.