'active feedback' for distortion cancellation - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th January 2005, 05:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 'active feedback' for distortion cancellation

I was looking through some old stuff and found this idea from Barrie Gilbert (1978). He always liked to promote what he called active feedback. The idea being to put an identical input stage in the feedback path and to the first order distortions will cancel. Really careful design and you can get .02% or so with a couple of volts dynamic range. One neat feature is you have diff or SE input of either phase. I don't know if this has been kicked around here before, I didn't see it explicitly in the cancelling odd harmonics thread.
Attached Images
File Type: gif amp.gif (5.7 KB, 865 views)
Old 25th January 2005, 08:25 PM   #2
mikeks is offline mikeks  United Kingdom
Account Disabled

Hi Scott,

This looks like an elaboration of the opa627/637 design rationale....

...with the exception, of course, of the diff. pair to which the minor resistive feedback loop is returned.....

By invoking elementary signal tracing, it becomes evident that this last diff. pair works to reduce the error signal applied to the output diff. stage (represented by the op. amp.)...

I am assuming said error signal is a voltage...at least nominally...?

Looks interesting...
Old 25th January 2005, 08:34 PM   #3
Account Disabled

Scott, You wouldn't happen to have a copy of Barrie's prose to this concept would you?
Old 25th January 2005, 08:42 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The basic idea is certainly public domain by now, but Barrie's notes are company property and I can't post them in detail.
Old 25th January 2005, 08:49 PM   #5
Account Disabled

Hi Scott,

You've got mail...
Old 26th January 2005, 12:00 AM   #6
jcx is offline jcx  United States
diyAudio Member

aren't the diff pair inputs labeled backwards?

i'm not sure i can see how to use the circuit yet but with repect to input diff pair distortion reduction i would think the designer of the AD797 should be convinced of the ability of high loop gain to "linearize" the input diff pair

3rd harmonic distortion is porportional to the square of the input diff signal - 10x more loop gain (ref to some ordinary design) will give 100x less 3rd harmonic
Old 26th January 2005, 12:08 AM   #7
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by jcx
aren't the diff pair inputs labeled backwards?
True...methinks...
Old 26th January 2005, 04:38 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default try burning candle on the other end

Seeing as how multiplication of non-linearities is associative (disregarding phase effects), any reason we couldn't unravel the amplifier at the OTHER end? ie, take feedback from before the output stage, run it thru a duplicate output stage on the way back to the input summation. This way the signal gets pre-distorted to correct for the actual output stage that is after the feedback pickoff. The output stage is usually considered more problematic than the input stage for distortion.
Off course a few complications come to mind, such as an accurate mimic for the speaker load. But then if we run the speaker thru both output stages in series, they will have the same load currents.

Don
Old 26th January 2005, 03:29 PM   #9
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to lumanauw
Thanks Scott Wurcer, for bringing this AFA (Active Feedback Amplifier) idea of Barrie Gilbert. I've been searching this AFA since I read the "Are OpAmps Really Linear" article by Barrie Gilbert, but never find it.

How to implement this idea, if the input is not balanced, like in ordinary single RCA input power amp?

And will this idea rise the OL gain (I like low OL gain)?
Old 26th January 2005, 05:27 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yes, I might have switched sign (50/50 you know). Well here's more elaborate circuit. I was thinking maybe a gain of 5 line amp driving a 50k constant impedance volume control. The feature I was most interested in was the true high impedance differential input that rejected common mode and could be differential or single ended of either sign. Even this simple circuit sims out at .015% second and 3rd and above at <.002% at 10V p-p out.

Just some old food for thought. And yes the main idea is in the alternative input stage ideas seeking some of the properties mentioned in Barrie's articles. Output stage issues are still in a feedback loop.
Attached Images
File Type: gif lineamp.gif (12.0 KB, 661 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!