External PS for Leach amp.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

Having just finished the circuit boards I am planning to make a power supply for Leach amp in a SEPERATE enclosure. The following is taken from Prof. Leach's construction details:

"The following wires connect to the central ground point: the green wire on the AC line cord, the ground wires for the filter caps, the transformer center tap, two ground wires from each circuit board, and the two loudspeaker ground wires."

Now,

1) Should I still take a cable from transformer center tap and ground wire on the AC cord? What is the purpose of connecting center tap of the trans. to the central ground as we already connect the ground of the caps? Does it reduce the noise??

2) Should I put the big caps into amp enclosure or is it better to leave them in the PS enclosure?

3) Any other trick to remember for such seperate enclosures?

Thanks a lot,

Murat

Just a try to answer your questions ;)

AC line ground wire is NOT necessarry!! In Europe we normally do not use the AC line Ground wire to other things than our washing machines etc. The center tap of the power supply caps are just fine ;) The purpose of this AC Ground is, that if you by mistake gets AC on the cabinet, your AC protection (in Denmark called HFI) would disconnect the AC main within a few mS.

The big caps should be placed as close as possible to the load.... Here it would be in the amp cabinet... However you can place half in the PSU cabinet and the other half in the amp cabinet ;

And rememer to use big fat wires with appropiate DC-connectors between the power supply and the amp ;)

Hi,
I would put most of the capacitance in the amp case.
BUT there is an advantage in
1. putting the first stage smoothing in the PSU case (keeps the ripple out of the amp case.
2. using smallish connecting cable introduces a RCRC time constant/filter to reduce the ripple even further.
regards Andrew T.

Thanks a lot guys.

Jan, i am still confused about center tap issue. Leach talks about two separate wires from common point of the caps AND from center tap of the the transformer. If I am not wrong you are also mentioning "The center tap of the power supply caps". I especially wonder the other wire connected to center tap of the transformer - not the caps center.

Thanks again,

Murat

Thanks Andrew,

Here is a little English and electronics problem of mine: What I understand from your 2nd point is to use "thinner" (or do you mean shorter??) cable is better for ripple rejection. Is this right? If a slighly higher resistance is better than you probably mean thinner but just wanted to make sure.

Murat

The center tap of the transformer is the ground in reference to the two poles of the transformer. for example, 60/0/60. This is the ground for your circuit and should be conntected to the - terminal of your rectifier and the - terminals of the caps. Ground is always relative. In this case it is relative to the other leads from the transformer.

After the rectifier, you will have +VCC/GND/-VCC, as the recifier yeilds polar DC from the AC current of your transformer. This DC voltage is still relative to the ground or center tap of the transformer.

Don;t know if this is helping, actually. It's late, time to go home.

-b

Hi,
sorry for not being clear, I usually forget that this forum is read by others whose first language is not Englsh.
I meant thinner wire. More risistance increases the time constant and attenuates the hum even more than brute force capacitance.
Some designs use resistors before the caps.
regards Andrew T.

Hi,
I agree with murat.
Having gone to the expense and effort to remove the transformer and magnetic field from the amp case I would now also put the rectifiers and first stage smoothing in the remote case and take the fairly smooth and ripple free leads into the amp case.
Copy Cyrus & take in low power and hi power and ground via 5 core.
regards Andrew T.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.