Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2005, 03:25 PM   #1
Bgt is offline Bgt  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Nad NAD C162+C172 diagram(schematics)

Just bought the set and tested it. Sounds great but when doing a test with a frequency oscillator and injecting a square wave I got a shock. There is a bass roloff, not a lot but still. This means they use a capacitor in the audio line. I took the C162 apart and it is full of cheapy capacitors.
Click the image to open in full size.

So I would like to swap only the ones being in the audio stream.
Anyone?
Old 15th January 2005, 03:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

What is wrong with capacitors in chain ? By the way, in your boxes you have several ones - or do you know to make crossover without capacitors ? Or if you have active crossover, so there is much more of them .
Old 15th January 2005, 04:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I guess BGT assumes that there are electrolytes in the SP. I don't know these amps, but NAD use quite cheap 'lytes in the output stages of their CDPs as DC blockers.

BGT, NAD Germany has a contractor who sells the the schematics for reasonable money (yes, to private persons, too). Maybe a similar arrangement exists for Holland? I'd give them a ring or write them an email, they were quite responsive when I asked for schematics for my CD540.

Best regards,

Oliver
Old 15th January 2005, 04:12 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

NAD is " cheap " firm, so can't use expensive ones - if yes, it will be not NAD, but Mark Levinson .
Old 15th January 2005, 04:26 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Upupa,

I didn't want to criticise NAD in general; I think their products' VFM is quite good. I also believe that upgrading a 'critical' capacitor (for example in the feedback loop) can bring about good results. Did this with a few amps now and I won't go back.

Best regards,

Oliver
Old 15th January 2005, 04:52 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
NAD is " cheap " firm, so can't use expensive ones - if yes, it will be not NAD, but Mark Levinson

Mark Levinson use expensive caps? That's news to me.
Old 15th January 2005, 05:07 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Sound don't make caps, but only careful circuit and PCB design. If it is uncorrectly designed, any caps don't save it.
Old 15th January 2005, 05:28 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Oliver, I meant the electrolyte caps. I will try to contact NAD. I know from experience that electolytes wear(dry) out. I used a passive preamp before, which had no cap. at all. The mosfet power amp had only 1 10uF polycarbonate cap. But it lacked the real punch the NAD has in the bottom end and the power.
But what I found was that after 10 years the Amp. becomes dull sounding and replacing the caps. did the trick.
So I expect this to deteriorate also after so many years.
I use a external DAC for my digital devices like CD, PC, MD and they are connected through a Toslink autoselector system.
The DAC has no output capacitor. Elecrolyte capacitors in the audio chain is ok when they are new but not after so many years.
Old 15th January 2005, 06:13 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Upupa Epops
Sound don't make caps, but only careful circuit and PCB design. If it is uncorrectly designed, any caps don't save it.
Agreed. But bad caps can make an otherwise good circuit sound worse. I'm not advocating stupid part swapping here.

Best regards,

Oliver
Old 16th January 2005, 10:04 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Anyone interested in the Power Amp. pics?

Hide this!Advertise here!