crest audio power amplifier

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Crest has been making amps for many years and various models have differing layouts and configurations. WHat model do you have?

I am surprised Crest was not more helpful. They have a data base of schematics, but you must first register with them to have access. COntact their support and ask for schematics for your model. Tell them where you are. If you just ask general questions about what technologies they use, most companies will not respond. They want to help you keep their products working, but they won't take the time just to explain their engineering.

Crest 8001

Hi, To jump in;
I have a Crest 8001 with one channel burned up.
After various mails I got the schematics from Crest.
Very helpfull, but; They allways send me the wrong schematic.
There are various models of this amp.
I wonder if someone can help with a correct schematic and tips to repair this monster.
What info is needed to identify the correct version?
Thanks,
Zilog

Hi

I've tried a crest amp from my friend (cpx 2600) and I was not very impresed with it. It works with digital power supply and has no deep bass. I commpared it with my amp (bipolar 2x450 home made amp with linear power supply), and it has much better bass and more natural mid and high tones, maby because crest uses mosfets on output.

I took home a Crest PA amplifier once several years ago. I don't remember the model but I assume it was from the late 70s or early 80s... It had a fully complimentary output stage with many Toshiba TO-3s in parallel per rail.

It is quite possibly the most offensive sounding amplifier I have ever heard--exhibited horrible control over the speaker, it played exagerrated upper bass, and the high frequencies were noisy and bright. Imagine one of those high powered 1970s Pioneer cascaded differential stage amplifiers (I have one) with the treble boosted about 6+dB... Yeah, it was pretty raunchy. :)

Of course, I'm not saying that all Crest amps are like this--but my first and only impression was not that great. I would be curious to hear another one of their designs for comparison sake.

Around the same time I listened to a Peavey PA amplifier (300w into 2 ohm)--it sounded small, it played little bass, but at least it was soft and easy to take. I suspect that with some power supply mods (i.e. something better than 5000 mfd filter caps) and circuit tweaking (such as speeding the thing up a bit), it could be made to sound fairly decent.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.