Voltage doubler

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here it is!

I haven't thought about this enough (yet) to get what he is saying about leaving the negaive ground floating or BOOM; but I am about to build a pretty hefty current, low voltage supply and any commentary that will help me avoid the BOOM would be greatly appreciated.

Anyhow, If this can be made to work, it looks like a far superior approach to the standard 2-diode doubler

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi Baard,

I just checked my text book "Understanding DC Power Supplies" by Barry Davis and here is a quote:

"These circuits can double, triple, or quadruple the input voltage is desired, but they are only able to supply a small amount of current."

This is referring to simple diode/capacitor circuit so I'm not sure if they are suitable for audio amplifiers.

WARNING: I have no experience with multipliers and am only quoting a text. :D

Guys, if you follow that link the example it gives is 2800V 1A out... And from the layout, I can't see why it wouldn't support a low voltage high current output as well.

Series secondaries would be my first choice (didn't notice that they were 2x each) BUT what if he wants more than the voltage he'll get out of that... ;)

I think of them as a "make-do" solution for audio diy so that you can utilize an existing transformer. A few months ago, however, I found a web site that discussed a more practicle application. Practical in the sense that finding an equivalent tranformer was dubious -- generating very, I mean VERY, high voltage for a VanDeGraf apparatus.

Stocker said:
BUT what if he wants more than the voltage he'll get out of that... ;)
Then i suggest to sell those trafos and buy new ones with appropriate voltages, but like i edited, bridging 2 amp gives guite a lots of power, but who knows, maybe he want's to make a "ozonator":D instead of power amp...

Edit: Depending on trafo you can allways wind more secondary wire, not pretty, but works.

Sometimes it is not desireable to buy a premade solution to fit a problem. Sometimes you get a part (free, even! )that will work with some modification. Sometimes you want it made the way you want it made. Sometimes you just want to

Do
It
Yourself
a
u
d
i
o
c
o
m

Yes? :D ;)

grege said:

"These circuits can double, triple, or quadruple the input voltage is desired, but they are only able to supply a small amount of current."

Well, that's simply not correct -- the amount of current they can provide is a function of the amount of capacitance -- prior to the development of "off-line" switchers capacitance was awfully expensive, not the case anymore.

Even forty years ago, doublers were used to provide hundreds of milliamps for ham radio amplifiers.

:)

From Pass- A75 amplifier:
"Voltage doubler operation is not easily explained, and sometimes you, just have to look at it for a while......"

Well that sentence let me in the dark for years :)

I aim to use the same technique for another amplifier. Use a voltage doubler to feed at front end regulated supply.

I looked at it, i didn't model it. I don't like things which go bang since I can inadvertently do that myself. Will put it into multisim8 to see what comes up.

the idea of a switcher isn't a bad one, even though the transformer isn't intended for this purpose -- you could use a CUK converter which was just discussed in the most recent issue of Elektor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.