Anybody into older, classic looking gear? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st July 2002, 07:36 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Default Anybody into older, classic looking gear?

I don't really know why but two years ago I started collecting older Japanese equipment. Maybe because I couldn't afford it when it came out. It basicly doesn't do anything, just sits on a shelf, but I like to look at it and remember good , old days.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zxl.jpg (54.1 KB, 4089 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 31st July 2002, 07:37 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I like especially older Pioneer stuff. They don't do equipment like that anymore.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pio.jpg (40.6 KB, 3924 views)
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 31st July 2002, 08:36 PM   #3
Banned

Smile Blast from the past

I too plead guilty of nostalgia since I bought this from a pawn shop in S.C. over the net last year. The amp was my first piece of "serious" HiFi that I bought used when I was 17. The salesman was outraged that I wouldn't buy it until I actually listened to it!
Thank's for the reminder Peter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marantz1060.jpg (18.5 KB, 3783 views)
Old 1st August 2002, 03:34 AM   #4
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Back in the early 70's, all my drop-out buddies were coming back from Vietnam with the Quad system they bought in their stop-over in Okinawa. Did you ever hear Nielson's "Jump Into the Fire" in quad on a quad system. "Ohh Wow Man,... That was Far Out!"

Anyway this Sansui QS800A quad synthesizer and discrete 4 channel amp is one my last remnants of those "Good Old, Bad Old Days". It has 4 - 45wpc amps in it so I'm using it as an amp for my computer.

See what you started Peter.
Rodd Yama****a
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sansui_qs_800a_01.jpg (23.6 KB, 3562 views)
Old 1st August 2002, 03:40 AM   #5
mirlo is offline mirlo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default old US made solid state equipment

I remember trying to repair (to no avail, sadly) an old solid state integrated amp from a US manufacturer, perhaps Scott or Fisher before they sent all production overseas. Mid 1960s or early '70s vintage I think, not sure.

But I marvelled at the build quality. Although the components were largely crap, ceramic caps, carbon composition resistors, etc ... phenolic circuit boards, it was clearly built with care and pride.

One interesting thing I found was that there was almost NO DUST in most of the circuit boards despite years of use. Everything that didn't dissipate a lot of heat was sort of sealed off in an internal metal subchassis, away from the vents. The thing was heavy. It was as if they were still sort of attached to subchassis construction and point-to-point wiring techniques more often seen in tube amplifiers, with small phenolic circuit boards used as modules.

It might be interesting to see some pics of the insides of old gear like that. Unfortunately I don't have any -- I was in grad school at the time, didn't have my equipment or much time, so I replaced a suspicious looking old electrolytic and gave it back to my friend, didn't solve the problem.

By the way, what is the fascination with carbon composition resistors for tube gear. Those things are noisy and have poor temperature performance.
Old 1st August 2002, 03:40 AM   #6
Vivek is offline Vivek  India
diyAudio Member

These old equipment look really good. I like the looks they have. I too look around and try to acquire such old equipment.

Vivek
Old 1st August 2002, 04:08 AM   #7
jwb is offline jwb  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to jwb
Nice. Is that a Pioneer RT-909? Looks like the one I used to have and wish I still had. Unfortunately, it isn't easy to come by good material on reel-to-reel.
Old 1st August 2002, 04:11 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

It is Rt-909. It measures really well, bettter than Nakamichi 1000ZXL. I was thinking about modifying electronics there and adding Dolby S, but it's too much work.
Old 2nd August 2002, 02:24 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Oldies But Goodies

Hi Peter,
Yes I have plenty of examples of Japanese gear.
And European and Australian gear too.
On my PC table and rack I have an early sixties National all tube Am/Fm Reciever that even has a motional feedback.
This one is a ripper.
I am not using the original 4 wire speakers though - they're in the shed.
At my girlfriends place I have a late 70's/early 80's ? Onkyo highend amplifier made for US market.
This one sports goodies like dual secondaries and 4 psu caps, and Alps pot, and switched passive tone controls - 10uF poly caps in this circuit !.
This one is a ripper too.
At work I have an eighties highend Akai power amp that used to have an internal SMPS.
The switcher ic is NLA, so I built a transformer dual mono external psu for this and this one works a treat.
If I take a look around my shelves I have tons of classic pieces of kit.
Turntables include Garrard 401, and SP-10, and others.
Build quality is not quite the same nowadays.

Peter you are not alone in appreciating older examples.

Regards, Eric.

I Wish I had an old digital camera.
Old 2nd August 2002, 10:40 AM   #10
bawang is offline bawang  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Damnnnnnnn, love those Nakamichi decks...... Legendary and...... it's just THAT macho look... Been trying to buy a current Nakamichi deck the CR7A or better still the Dragon) during my student days in Canada, but as they said: champagne taste, beer budget. Bought an AKAI GX52B, no Nakamichi but still with those angled buttons, and enough quality to keep me smilin'..... Still wishing for a Nak..... Thanks Peter for bringing this up...

Hide this!Advertise here!