dvd player tweaking hurdles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've got a panasonic s35 that I bought with the intention of tweaking. I'm fairly new to this hobby, so am just trying to get the ball rolling. First thing I did was to take off the cover to see what I am able to get at. It looks accessible at first glance, but when I start removing screws I see things are a bit more interconnected than I first thought and that I may not be able to get the PCB out to work on it.

How do people usually deal with this scenario? I have thought of taking a Dremel to the bottom of the case to allow access to the bottom side of the circuit board. Is this commonly done? I am just wanting to replace the PS caps first. I don't know what to look for when considering replacing the clock, etc.

timsch75, "DON'T DO IT"! First of all, even if you suceed at completing
the mod., you will regret canabalizing the case. But then,
maybe you won't. However, one thing is almost certain, you
will have metal shavings "throughout" the PCB. And there is
a good chance that you will hack a solder run or, connection
somewhere and maybe never know it. My advice would be
for you to take alittle more time to study the assembly and
the approach may just come to you..

Sounds like good advice. I have been looking for ways to get at the board. It looks quite simple, but it just hasn't come apart for me yet, and I don't want to force things as some of the components look fairly delicate. I wish I had my digital camera to take some pics of the problem areas so that someone might recognize a problem they've overcome, but the wife has it in CO

I tried removing the face yesterday. The connection of the PCB in question with the face is the last connection I need to undo. However, the face was connected to other componens in ways I couldn't quite figure out. This is where I decided not to force it. I'll look at it again this morning.

Hi again,

There should be a ribbon cable that is attached between the face pcb and the main pcb.

This ribbon cable is connected to the main pcb with a connector that has a 'clip' feature to it......have a close look and you should be able to figure it out.

You have to pop up the retainer on the connector to remove ribbon cable....just do the reverse when re-installing.

Cheers

KevinLee

I can get the ribbon cable out of its connector. The cable itself just slides into a connector. The piece I'm having trouble with is a small black connector located just to the left of where the ribbon attaches to the face (viewed from the rear). It looks alot like the front grill of a jeep

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.