Marantz 300DC Problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
1.5 Volts of offset is not a minor problem. When the unit goes in to that offset, other transistors start heating up which can cause a boom as well. It is just a matter of time to other things start going wrong. If it would be normal I would live with it. Since it is not I'll try to fix it.
Thanks guys.

Ricardo.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Ricardo,
That's the spirit! I am fairly sure you can fix it. Your other equipment is pretty good too.

EchoWars,
Don't worry, I didn't think you were suggesting that. I did get the feeling you hadn't heard one. I agree with you 100% that DC offset should be less than 50mV. You can calculate the offset expected by looking at the circuit. Some designs will settle as high as 250mV when the diff pair is balanced. Just poor design.

-Chris

Quote:

Some designs will settle as high as 250mV when the diff pair is balanced. Just poor design.

Hummm, I have serviced hundreds of different amps and never run across one yet with DC offset over 50mv as a factory setting.
If I did I would never let one out the door that way. I would have corrected the problem/design.

Re: Yes, but fixing something that is working is also dangerous.

destroyer X said:
Because, some human error can create 50 volts of off set!

You are rigth....there's a problems...something that will create bigger future problems.

The one must decide to have those risks or not...depends how skilled he is.

As i am deeply skilled...and hundred times the screwdriver scaped from my hand and BOOOOOOMMMM!

I prefer to tell that to remember that human makes mistakes.

"never change some team that is winning...result can be worst!"

regards,

Carlos

What i'd say is use a plastic screwdriver (i've made up a few myself) for adjusting anything with the amp on, for prodding, adjusting, pushing, etc, NOTHING beats plastic.... I've used metal things before and put them through my hand (i know, i know, should have done it on the bench!) but one slip and you are looking at a holy-hand, or a black one if you hit the right wire!!!

The offset is a worry and i'd also like to hear how it's calculated... Although i do doubt even 0.5v is anything to worry about if it is a good amp and the other components are overspecced, if not, you'll run into troubles!

It sounds like cayo71 know's what he's doing, and if he doesn't, he can send it here and i'll keep it for him :D :D

Aaron

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi EchoWars,
Calculating the DC offset can be easy. If both bases return to ground and the feedback path with equal resistances. Figure out the tail current, divide that in two (we will assume the gains are equal, ie. matched). Divide that by the gain of one transistor and mutiply that by the base to ground resistance. This is the design offset voltage, positive or negative depending on whether the diff. pair is NPN or PNP. If the circuit has gain at DC, multiply that figure by the DC gain figure. This does not take into account the effect of a DC offset pot or DC servo. If the amp has a servo, measure the output pin to see how much correction is required. Normally, the lower this voltage is, the better balanced the amp is naturally.

burnedfingers,
I too will correct DC offset as a normal course. Two situations where I won't. 1. Correction of the design fault is a major undertaking (and sometimes not possible or worthwhile (given the cost of the amp) or 2. The repair is a warranty job from the manufacturer and the unit is within spec. (modifying the circuit will null the warranty, and get me in trouble).
Of course, if the customer is a cheap S*B I won't fix a design error, but I will note it. BTW, I have serviced well over a thousand amps. No kidding! I've used over three Weller stations to death in the process.

-Chris

I just found the forum today. You should check the varistors. They produce the bias to the transistors. I have the 300DC. Great amplifier. It developed a thermal problem on one side. The varistor (sorry I don't have the schematic in front of me) went bad and the output transistors got super hot! The thermal protection kicked in. Check the bias at the top and bottom pins that stick out on the top of the amp board. One should read .6V and the other -.6V
Ron

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Ron,
Lucky me used to do warranty service on these and more. It is extremely rare for those varistors to go. They normally get broken leads when handled roughly. Watch out for the thermistors for the same reason.
I don't know where you would pick them up today.

-Chris

Chris,
As you may know, there are only about 7 electrolytis on the amp board. How did your repair go? I recaped mine when the thermal run away problem happened and it never sounded better. Also recap the power supply and peak indicator board.
Check all solder joints on each board. The amp can get quite hot and over time the solders dry out.
You'll be set for another 25 years.

I have a neighbor that owns a parts supply store. They sell to the trade and have access to suppliers for hard to find parts. I'm sure my neighbor won't tell me who "they" are. They're really good with hard to find parts. Not everything, but most parts can be obtained.
Ron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.