Adding pre-outs into a processor with separate internal amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok,
Maybe this has been done before (and every time i know what people have answered!!!) however i consider this one a little different!
My H/K home theature amp has essentially "power amps" inside it, i mean they are connected to the mainboards, but only for power, the actual audio connections are made to the board by leads directly from the processors outputs!
If i d/c these leads (there's one for centre and 2 for the mains) there's no sound at all, it sounds simple enough for me to simply drill some holes, mount terminals and plug these in, however, i don't want to simply do that, because it sounds too simple - i am SURE that i have to use a cap on the "sheilding" to the earth, and obviously test the outputs of the "preouts" to make sure it's not driving stupid voltages out of them!!! Is there anything else i should really check for? I've had an amp that had it's rca's not electrically isolated from the main power supply (somehow hooking up this amp to another amp from a different manufacturer it blew up in sparks!), so i'm making sure that there's not trap i can fall in, seems easy to me and simple, but is there a catch? I will totally disconnect them from the main power amp inside the unit, i don't need, nor want, to use it again, and if i do, i'll simply open it up, and plug the wires back in, simple!

Anyway - any advise? Cheers!
Aaron

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.