Adding pre-outs into a processor with separate internal amp? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd January 2005, 10:50 AM   #1
NUTTTR is offline NUTTTR  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Adding pre-outs into a processor with separate internal amp?

Ok,
Maybe this has been done before (and every time i know what people have answered!!!) however i consider this one a little different!
My H/K home theature amp has essentially "power amps" inside it, i mean they are connected to the mainboards, but only for power, the actual audio connections are made to the board by leads directly from the processors outputs!
If i d/c these leads (there's one for centre and 2 for the mains) there's no sound at all, it sounds simple enough for me to simply drill some holes, mount terminals and plug these in, however, i don't want to simply do that, because it sounds too simple - i am SURE that i have to use a cap on the "sheilding" to the earth, and obviously test the outputs of the "preouts" to make sure it's not driving stupid voltages out of them!!! Is there anything else i should really check for? I've had an amp that had it's rca's not electrically isolated from the main power supply (somehow hooking up this amp to another amp from a different manufacturer it blew up in sparks!), so i'm making sure that there's not trap i can fall in, seems easy to me and simple, but is there a catch? I will totally disconnect them from the main power amp inside the unit, i don't need, nor want, to use it again, and if i do, i'll simply open it up, and plug the wires back in, simple!

Anyway - any advise? Cheers!
Aaron

Hide this!Advertise here!