what can i substitute the MJL4302A and the MJL4281A with?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!
im currently ordering all the parts im gonna need for building the ESP P3a amp.

unfortunatly i'm not getting a hold of the MJL4302 end MJL4281A, or the suggested repalcements 2SA1216 and 2SC2922.

im gonna place the order shortly, but need a replacement!
i'm thinking about going for the BUW12 and its PNP complimentary..

I'm really hoping it's possible to just swap trnsistors, but offcours it isn't.. any sugestions?

regards
a overly tierd marius

until then, the MJE 2955T\3055T will work.. right?
just not as good..
i bought 4 pears, needing only one pear per chanel, guess i could paralell two pairs to make up for missing power handeling. (right?)

Hienrich: i dont really have anything i could use as of right now.. only some darlingtons, but because og their high gain, they are not sutable for this amp i think..

having fidled around with rather advanced computer modification for quite som time now, i have no problems with cooling things.. :cool:

I actually plan to watercool my stereo.
this is'nt a requirement as of now, with only a gc and soon to come p3a, but when i get the krellclone or alephX in-house things are going to heat up. :hot:

If you would like to try something different with your two pair of outputs per channel for yout ESP3A, use the Bryston connected outputs.

http://sound.westhost.com/ad_fig7.gif

The first schema is an EF, the second a CFP, the stock 3A is a CFP.
If you add another 220R from the emitter of the driver to the collector of the existing output, and then add the second output (of oposite polarity) connected as an EF, you will essentially have the Bryston connection. If you wanted to add a predriver transistor (a pair of $0.10 to92 plastic devices) you could copy the Bryston circuit.

http://www.bryston.ca/pdfs/3B-SST-SCH-1C(Oct02).pdf

I would try it without the extra parts first, as the ESP3A doesn't need the voltage gain in the output stage like the Bryston does.

I would increase the bias in the driver stage like Bryston does by changing the 220R to 51R (47R~56R is OK).

I think execution matters more than the topology does.

One of the best sounding amps I own is a McIntosh MC2120. It has a diff input pair and a second voltage amp, resistors for the current sources. An output stage.

Not counting the outputs there are only three transistors per channel total.

All I did to this amp was add a bunch of high quality caps as needed, about $4 total.

djk: ok, i'm lost here: could you give me a quick deffinition of bias curent? I think i got it all wrong..

Hienrich: Never heard of the lynx.. just the krell, and that because of it's ability to drive insane loads, and that is a quality i like.
Massive output power isn't needed for me. One can come a long way with 2*25w, even for heavy bass duty. at least i think so.

:rolleyes:

demogorgon,

for me a 25watt amp is just as tiny as it would be. you cannot actually feel its spirit, just for me :D , but if you're contented with this and avoid disturbing youre nieghbors its still ok. actually
you could feel the coolness of the music at this level:) , but im for hot
:hot:
I just want to feel crazy of my outcome speacially when you know that
youre the who build your own.:att'n:

hienrich

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.