LM6172 sound

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I'm currently putting together an active filtererd biamped system. The filter utilizes 4:th order filerting, bafflestep compensation, notchfiltering, delaycompensation and som buffering. All in all quite many op's. The system sounds good in most ways, it's transparant, fast and very very detailed.
However, to my taste it's a little bit to detailed, if you understand what I meen. It tend to sound a bit cold.

I've read a review of the LM6172 that resambles what I'm hearing, "... a touch of coldness". I'm using it throughout, even in the CD-player. Is there anyone with similar experiense of the LM6172? Is it likely that replasing all or at least some with a "warmer sounding op" will help? Any suggested OP's? AD826?

/Jesper

jesper said:
Hi,
I'm currently putting together an active filtererd biamped system. The filter utilizes 4:th order filerting, bafflestep compensation, notchfiltering, delaycompensation and som buffering. All in all quite many op's. The system sounds good in most ways, it's transparant, fast and very very detailed.
However, to my taste it's a little bit to detailed, if you understand what I meen. It tend to sound a bit cold.

I've read a review of the LM6172 that resambles what I'm hearing, "... a touch of coldness". I'm using it throughout, even in the CD-player. Is there anyone with similar experiense of the LM6172? Is it likely that replasing all or at least some with a "warmer sounding op" will help? Any suggested OP's? AD826?

/Jesper

In such a complex and filtered system
I wouldnt think LM6172 is the weak link producing 'the sound'.
It is a transistorized IC, and what I know transistors are 'neutral sounding' components.
Changing transistors would not be a primary way to change final sound.

Most sound change will come
if you change crossover filters and elements in your loudspeakers.
Large inductors, coils, like them in filters and woofers
has a considerable effect on waveform of signals.

How your room is furnitured, where you place loudspeakers
and where you listen from are other major factors that can change the final sound result.

Active crossovers and several amplifiers is a good way to get high 'hifi-factor' in a system.
Good choice!

:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.