So, I ebayed this Hafler DH-110 preamp... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Solid State

Solid State Talk all about solid state amplification.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th December 2004, 05:11 PM   #1
Bogie is offline Bogie  United States
diyAudio Member

Default So, I ebayed this Hafler DH-110 preamp...

...and when it arrived, I plugged everything in...

(normal system has been a Marantz 2230 for the pre, a DH-200, and a pair of Maggie MMGs)

Anywho, something didn't sound right. Got up, walked up to the speaks, and started listening... Ohmigawd! The left speak sounded like something was flapping on the low end... Bad distortion.

Whew. Pulled the DH-110, and plugged the Marantz back in, and the noises went away...

So, is there an "easy" way to troubleshoot this, maybe for what might be a simple fix? Or does this sound like it could be gnarsty?

Thanks!
Old 19th December 2004, 06:40 PM   #2
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

even if basic electronic layout is good ,after all this yrs all that mumbo jumbo patch field (push button fields) is nothing more than PITA. read between the lines - when you have 5 or more ooooold switches in line with your poor signal .......
I solved this in mine DH110 puttin' several takamisawa mini relays ditto in between rca connectors ,and patch field is now just for relay controling .
thats another story
now I have decent preamp with multi switching for use near my 'puter.
if ya want scan of poodgin' DH just send me a mail.
Old 19th December 2004, 07:48 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have a $5 DH-110 that worked fine except for the front panel pushbutton switches. Toggling the tone control switch sent large transients on the output. Removing and bypassing the switch fixed the problem.

You may have a similar problem, or perhaps a different problem, like leaky output coupling capacitors or a bad power supply section. In any case some troubleshooting will be needed, using at least a voltmeter and schematic.

A manual including schematic is available here
Old 19th December 2004, 11:45 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

at the time this preamp was introduced it received rave reviews -- I still have one built from a kit (bought at the same time with a '220) -- there is a lot of space for mods -- be patient, get the schematic and tinker.

there was also a moving coil preamp sold with the unit (or it could be purchased at a later date -- this is from the era in which CD's were just being introduced).

Hide this!Advertise here!