Project:OPTIMUM SHORT CIRCUIT PROTECTION IN MOSFET AMPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Re: Reply

sivan_and said:

thats too slow!!!

Hi Siva,
This was choosen to eliminate false muting during Low frequency high current peaks.

janneman said:

Series resistor? Where?
What do you mean "measure the time taken to provide protection". What did you measure?

Jan Didden

hi jan,
The resistor was connected to negative rail in series.
from the onset of short circuit to the muting of input signal, this time was measured along.
peranders said:

... so all types of loads but not all....?

You don't use foldback current limitation which protects better to reactive loads.

What is a mismatched load according to you?

Hi Mod,

nice to see your comments too.

Reactive loads have been refered to mismatched loading.

We want to implement a circuit to limit gate drive , not with zeners but with something else, do you have any suggestions for us in order to make things even better.

Regards
kanwar

Why can't you use conventional current limiting using source resistors and a transistor connected to the driver?

You claimed in earlier posts that your transistors get destroyed in micro seconds, how come you have 85 ms as reaction time?

A loudspeaker is a pretty reactive load so what does it mean loadwise if you have a mismatched load? What is the difference?

Hi mod,
Your suggestion is good, but this type of protection is not viable as we dont use source resistors, but we look there is also another way similar to this that is measuring the gate drive and muting the input accordingly.
What's your suggestion.

Regarding reactive load, i would like to say that when a INFERIOR quality passive Cross-Over which is causising lot of reactive energy fedback, is connected to amp.

regards,
kanwar

Re: Reply

amp_man_1 said:
Regarding reactive load, i would like to say that when a INFERIOR quality passive Cross-Over which is causising lot of reactive energy fedback, is connected to amp.
How is this possible? How much energy are we talking about? A second order crossover, stores not much, or?

... but your amp can manages all types of loads including these crossovers + speakers? Completely shortcircuit proof?

Don't you have real fuses also?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Hi amp_man,

You know, you throw around a lot of comments, and sometimes contradictory stuff, or stuff that very likely has never been tested. It sounds more like wild ideas than tried out things.

We never see any of your famous Work Horse amplifiers. You have no website either.

Are we talking about real hardware, or does this exist between your ears only? Just curious.

Jan Didden

janneman said:
Hi amp_man,

You know, you throw around a lot of comments, and sometimes contradictory stuff, or stuff that very likely has never been tested. It sounds more like wild ideas than tried out things.

We never see any of your famous Work Horse amplifiers. You have no website either.

Are we talking about real hardware, or does this exist between your ears only? Just curious.

Jan Didden

Jan these type of comments were not expected from you.

our website is under construction, to verify it just look for www.workhorsetechnologiesindia.com in WHOIS database registration of our domain name at www.register.com simply check out and truth will be displayed at front of your eyes.

Nevertheless, Mr. Singh if you show the preset state of your design and state the parts which has a not 100% good function and also that you state your wanted features. At this point you haven't got any specifications for the new protection circuit. Cost I'll imagine is also important.

I may come up with something but right now the specifications are pretty vague.

Note also that I don't mind helping you altough you run a company which has a fully commercial production.

Hi Mod,
i understand what you want to illustrate.

Ok, listen if a gate drive sensor is implemented through optocoupler in series with gate drive limit zener and then its other side used to mute the input signal or simply attentuate the input signal accordingly. Whats your suggesstion .

Regards,
kanwar

A good reliable short circuit protection must sense the current more directly, not indirect via a gate voltage. How precise can you control the gate voltage if you have 4-10 pairs of mosfets?

If you manufacture amps this way you won't get any precision at all or repeatablity.

If you calulate worst case with zener tolerance, Vgs and gm, how much can the current differ?

Precise current limiting with Vgs sensing would require precise Vgs comparators, precision Vgs references WITH TEMPERATURE COMPENSATION and trimmed in an unit per unit basis, and closely matched output devices of a model with low enough GM such that output current changes produce high enough Vgs changes

It's far more practical to use source resistors or suitable resistors in series with supply rails or in series with the output before feedback point

Also, using a multi-output SMPS with current limiting in a channel per channel basis may be an interesting option [supply rails may be adjusted to keep SOA]

No, I get quite pi$$ed off when I review hall-effect sensors because they tend to be high priced and I can't afford them, altough they are very useful. Currently I do experimentation with what I have, and I sense currents with resistors, current transformers or by integrating SMPS inductor voltages :bawling:

Hi mod
i think you are quite a bit right about VGS, So we will rely on traditional method of protection using series resistors.

hi Eva,
Your suggesstion is very good, but we dont have smps supplies in our amps.

One more thing , In your opinion what type of scheme is good:
Continous repititive muting so that it continously monitors the short or a latch type muting is better suited so that user can reset it

regards,
kanwar

Another way of getting a sample w/o using source resistor,Suits AMP mans scheme. ...circuit attached...

Attachments

• mosfet protection.jpg
    mosfet protection.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 393
Eva said:
No, I get quite pi$$ed off when I review hall-effect sensors because they tend to be high priced and I can't afford them, altough they are very useful. Currently I do experimentation with what I have, and I sense currents with resistors, current transformers or by integrating SMPS inductor voltages :bawling:
I must admit that I haven't checked the price for these new cool integrated current sensing parts but I'll guess for hifi it would be perfect and with very little interference. The current shunt has so little resistance. Is it under 1 mohms? One more positve thing is that they are insulated so you can use any control circuit you like and connect this current shunt anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.