Superbuffer instead of OPAMP

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,

my preamp is still in the designphase and I am now considering using a discrete lineamp or a buffer instead of an OPamp.

As I only need 0 or maybe 6 dB of gain for my CD player and tuner,
a buffer with just some gain might be even better sounding than the best of the best of OPamps.

Borbely Audio has both a lineamp and a buffer he calls "superbuffer".

The design below looks rather straightforward and good to me.

Has anyone some knowledge of Borbely's "Superbuffer"?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Sigurd

Sigurd, notice that Erno's buffer actually is a current feedback amp but his thig is to use jfet's and mosfets.

I'll imagine that his amp is pretty good if you can get good transistors. I have also want ed to make soem good jfet amp but good jfets are a bit hard to get in Sweden and I'm too lazy to import.....

Erno's design is pretty straight forward and there are no weird things.

I got me the Superbuffer from Borbely Audio. I decided on the Teflon PCB and the part Caddock upgrade tgether with the high current optput option.

I also got some special rubber "feet" instead of the normal metal PCB fasteners.

Assembly was a piece of cake due to the special packing of the different components.

Here are some photos I took:

F1010001.JPG

F1010008.JPG

F1010018.JPG

Sigge

Sigurd Ruschkow said:
Hi All,

my preamp is still in the designphase and I am now considering using a discrete lineamp or a buffer instead of an OPamp.

As I only need 0 or maybe 6 dB of gain for my CD player and tuner,
a buffer with just some gain might be even better sounding than the best of the best of OPamps.

Borbely Audio has both a lineamp and a buffer he calls "superbuffer".

The design below looks rather straightforward and good to me.

Has anyone some knowledge of Borbely's "Superbuffer"?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Sigurd

Hjelm,
the prices are as follows (from the Borbely Audio price list at http://www.borbelyaudio.com/pics/012005 kits.pdf :

Superbuffer Stereo with Teflon PCB: 150 Euros
Caddock Upgrade: 40 E
High Current Output: 16.5 E
6 db Gain Upgrade 10 E
Rubber Feet: 32 E

Dual Power Supply (Rectifier kit /309):135 E

Double dual Regulator (EB202/254): 185 E

In total: 568 Euros

I am still awaiting some special double-shielded transformers (toroid) so I have not listened to the kits yet.

I will use a stepped ladder attenuator with Dale resistors for most levels but for my preferred listening levels there will be Caddock MK132s installed.
ELMA switch.

I am not that fond of having "normal" metal film resitors in the signal path and that was the reason that I ordered the Caddock upgrade.

This preamp will have WBT Next Generation Silver chassie RCA connectors and internal wiring will be cotton insulated bare silver wire for the signal path and also for the power supply wires.

The CDplayer is a Harman/KArdon HD7525 with a discrete analog section. I have made some modifications to this CDplayer, and will do some more modfications when the preamp is finished. Interconnect cables are soldered directly before the muting switch inside the CDplayer. I am using Audio Consult't enamel insulated silver wire and cotton insulation together with WBTs Next Generation Silver RCA connectors for this interconnect cable.

Sigge

No need to be sarcastic.

The prices are for one stereo pair.

Dreaming? Who's dreaming? I am not.
Audio Consult's silver wire is here, and so is 4 pairs of WBT's NExtGen Silver xhassie RCA,
and so is 4 pairs of WBT's NextGen Silver RCA plug.

If you have a dream - make it come true!
I try to.

Best
Sigurd Ruschkowski

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.